PDA

View Full Version : Hey Um, You Gonna Eat That?

Amy DeStefanis
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
These two were quite entertaining at Ft. DeSoto. After some people fishing gave up some of their bait, this Stork was the main contender for the feast. Too bad the fish scared him every time they would flip in the sand. He always came back to try again, and was rewarded with a few fish. Meanwhile, the Reddish Egret stood by waiting for him to get out of the way!

My question for the evening is about the horizon... If I am up high enough to have all water for the background, the advice is to get lower. But if I get lower, especially with the large wading birds, the horizon inevitably interferes, as with this shot.

Where is the best place to choose to have a happy medium?

Nikon D80
70-300VR @ 86mm (this is a large crop)
1/320th @ f/5.6
Manual exposure
handheld

Thanks!
Amy D.

Alfred Forns
10-13-2008, 09:13 PM
I think Big Red is intimidated !!!! Would move up/down Rather have the stork with more space to the horizon or bisecting by some This is one of those cases I would work the birds as much as possible and get different views !!! Excellent !!!

denise ippolito
10-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Great capture. I think you did a very good job getting both in focus.

Julie Kenward
10-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Nice image...hard choice! I think you did well for the circumstances of one bird's head down and one up. I personally would have liked a bit more blue water behind the white bird to set him off from the horizon more.

Gus Cobos
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Well done Amy, both subjects are in focus, nice background and great details...:cool:

Desmond Chan
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Composition-wise it may not be perfect, but I think it's a good behavior photo.

Nonda Surratt
10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
What a fun image! Cute!