PDA

View Full Version : Special Delivery

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
The least grebes have been a real treat to see and watch. The babies are too big now for the parents to carry around and they are swimming out more in the open waters now. The parents have been coaxing them to swim more and to learn more about survival in the wild. This image is one of the parents bringing back food for the chicks that they have already partially digested to make it easier for the little ones to eat. The pictures have been a real challenge as the lighting has been poor most of the time and they are so far away that even with a 600mm and a converter it is still very hard to get a decent image and I have been there for hours and hours. Still it has been a great experience and I wanted to share a few moments with you. It is the first time baby least grebe chicks have hatched in Florida that anyone knows of. Hope you enjoy.

Nikon 600mm F4
Nikon converter 1.7
ISO 400
1/640, F8
manual

All comments are appreciated.

Ramon M. Casares
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, congratulaitons on such a great catch, I love the moment and the whole story/expanation behind it, the effort payed Judy, love the comp, the light, the moment as said and the exposure! Congratulaitons!

bill kominsky
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Congratulations on this one Judy, under the circumstances the image is wonderful.

Bill

Judd Patterson
10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
It may not be the most beautiful moment, but I love that you captured the open mouth full of food for the little grebes. The conditions at the lake can be very difficult, but you did a very fine job here managing a good exposure and capturing lots of detail. Well done and good luck to Florida's first Least Grebe family!

susanschermer
10-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Judy, I see you got your computer back. I agree the conditions at the pond are really difficult. I've given up on them, but it was wonderful seeing this species and sharing the experience with you and the others who have been there.