PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Leaves

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I happened across this pair of leaves hanging from a tree last evening while walking along my local creek. The shape of the dried leaves was the first thing to catch my eye. Then as I looked closer, I noticed that each leaf seemed to have a pod right at its base. I'm not sure what this tree is but it interested me enough to make a few images. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox, handheld

1/60 sec @ f/8; ISO 800; 0 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
The first thing I thought of when I saw this was a cowboy's legs in chaps kickin' up his heels! :D Good eye!

The leaves look a little light on this monitor but that could just be me. Good job on comp and DOF, Ed.

Ed Vatza
10-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Jules. I'm not quite sure why but all my images from that evening (these leaves and the Hopper-On-Teasel) look cold. I'm not sure if it is something in the Rebel or my settings or what. I want to check it out the next time I head out.

In the meantime, I have decided to warm up this image as well. What do you think?

Gus Cobos
10-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Well composed, Ed
I like the placement in frame, I like the repost, the colors are vibrant and you have sharp details...:cool:

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree...I like the repost even more.

denise ippolito
10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I like both the posts. The second one looks more in season however I love the softer colors in the BG very much on the first post.

Robert O'Toole
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Ed,

OP is okay, the repost is much better looking I think, warmer and better contrast.

Anyone know what the heck it is?

Robert

Mike Moats
10-14-2008, 03:28 AM
Hey Ed, my first thought on the first post was that it needed a warmer look and you did a good job on the repost. Interesting design in the leaves.

Jerry van Dijk
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey there, totally agree with Denise regarding FG and BG preference. You could try to combine the images.
Reg. the strange leaves: they look like leaves of a normal tree (but I'm not an expert on American species) which have been deformed galls formed by infection by gall midges (Cecidomyidae) or gall wasps (Cynipidae). They lay their eggs in the leaves, by which gall formation is induced . Basically this is just plant tissue growing wild. The gall material serves as nutrition and shelter for the larvae once the eggs have hatched. Some fungi can induce similar deformities, but judging by what seem to be holes in the gall (from which the imagos have crawled out), that is not the case here.
- Jerry -