PDA

View Full Version : Spider Mum

Dave Woeller
10-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Thought I would take a moment to post this image to see what thoughts I could get for improvement. Experimenting with lighting and studio work. Would the shot have more balance with the entire bloom in the shot?
40D
Canon 24-105 @ 105
.6 sec
F/16
EV- 2/3
eval metering

Chris Starbuck
10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Dave,
I like this! It's really hard to show detail in white petals -- lighting is critical, and you've nailed it. Keeping the stem in view is good too -- keeps the flower from floating in nothing (although that would be another legitimate comp).

I don't think the difference between this comp and one that includes the whole bloom is really a matter of balance -- they're just different images with different emphases. I think this comp emphasizes the details in the center of the bloom, while including the whole flower would place more emphasis on the overall shape.

As long as you're experimenting in the studio, shoot it every which way: tight crop (down to true macro), whole flower, vary the DOF, vertical, horizontal, varying amounts of negative space (with a variety of BGs), high key, low key, backlit, daylight-balanced lighting, tungsten ... anything you can think of. Have fun!

Chris

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 06:34 PM
What Chris said! :)

I did a lot of experimenting like this with cut flowers back during the winter. The comments I got then seemed to suggest either crop in enough to make it obvious that you are cropping in and haven't just clipped the edges or show the entire flower. I kinda like what you've done here but it does seem to me to be right on that edge. And as Chris said, the whites look good to me.

Paul Marcellini
10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I liked it when I first saw it. After reading the comments, I still think it is fine cropped in like this and doesn't appear accidentally clipped. Very nice.

Julie Kenward
10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Beautiful white and good strong BG. I do tend to think it's almost cropped too much but, like Ed said, it's borderline. It just feels a little tight to me.

That's not that I don't like it - I really do - I just wonder if I'd like another crop better. ???

Dave Woeller
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone. Lots of good thoughts here as usual. I'll gladly take the advice to shoot numerous different ways as suggested by Chris. I also have the Canon 100 macro which may have given me a whole new direction with this flower. It's back to wotk for me :D

Robert O'Toole
10-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi Dave,

Nice image overall, nice soft light, sharp.

A couple of fine points, the WB seems cold, not sure if this was intentional but normally Studio strobes are a little blue. Next time use a gray card or a warm card for Custom.
Also I cant help but want to see more of the outside petal tips. It doesnt look clipped but I think it still might look better to me as a horizontal.

Robert

Mike Moats
10-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Hey Dave, I like the overall comp, lighting, and crop.

Dave Woeller
10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks Robert and Mike. I'll certainly use your thoughts in my next set-up. White has always been difficult for me. I usually end up too warm or blown out, one or the other. Time to slow down and think it through. All the help here is greatly appreciated.