PDA

View Full Version : A String of Puffballs

Julie Kenward
10-12-2008, 02:33 PM
That would be the untechnical term for this plant. :D

I can't decide if I lightened/brightened this too much. Part of me thinks it's cheery this way and part of me thinks it's missing something. Anyone who can help me decide feel free to speak up!

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
f/4 @ 1/100th, ISO 200
Center-weighted metering, Manual mode
Handheld, natural late afternoon light
Processed in ACR & CS3: levels, curves adjustments, sharpening, moderate crop

Chris Starbuck
10-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Jules,
I really like the comp & square crop on this. Especially like the OOF BG echo of the main "string". It just looks a little flat to me. I added an LCE (USM 20/30/0; full-res image will probably need different settings), then an overal contrast boost (S-curve). I may have overdone the contrast? Couldn't decide whether a slight saturation boost was better or not, so I left that out. Does this help?
Chris

Amy DeStefanis
10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
This is great, Jules!

On my monitor, the background of the original has more depth to it, than the repost. There's a LITTLE posterization or some cloning artifacts just above center on the right side...???

The highlights on the repost look too bright to me. I don't mind the "flat" quality to the original because the OOF string brings depth to it - and I just love love love the repeating pattern in the background.

:)

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
10-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Chris, I think you got it! I did a couple of curves adjustments and it would either make the whites WAY too white or the darks would suddenly muddy and I just couldn't find the happy medium. I think you hit it.

Amy, isn't that back plant just da bomb? I saw that in my eye piece and went OH HECK YES!!!

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Jules,

I'm really liking this composition particularly with the repeating image in the background. Very good eye. If there was one thing that I would wish for, it would be a bit more dof to make the bottom puffballs sharper. Of course, I wouldn't want the background puffballs any sharper though :D.

Paul Marcellini
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
A very cool capture. I like the repost, but I am a fan of contrast. To me it may need a touch more sharpening for web.

Chris Starbuck
10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
There's a LITTLE posterization or some cloning artifacts just above center on the right side...???

The highlights on the repost look too bright to me.

Amy,
My guess is the posterization is from the low res of the posted image (always an issue online) plus jpeg compression (it loves to throw away tonal values, especially in our nice smooth OOF BGs). Probably not present at all in the full-res original.

I wasn't real sure about those highlights either. Could have taken care of those in curves at the same time as the overall contrast adjustment. I'll post a little "highlight tweak" tip separately.

Chris

Chris Starbuck
10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Chris, I think you got it! I did a couple of curves adjustments and it would either make the whites WAY too white or the darks would suddenly muddy and I just couldn't find the happy medium.

Jules,
Here's a technique for using curves to just tone down too-bright highlights without affecting anything else. I didn't do this on my repost of your photo, but after Amy's comment, I think it would help (I'd repost again with this additional tweak, but the system only allows me one attached image.) I find this technique useful when I have whites that aren't really blown, but aren't showing the best detail. Also helpful prior to sharpening if I expect (or find through trial and error) that the sharpening is going to blow some of the highlights.

In case the text in the image is hard to read, here are the steps, after opening a Curves adjustment layer:
1. Select the Pencil tool instead of the usual/default Spline.
2. Click somewhere on the curve and drag just the tiniest amount you can in any direction -- just a twitch.
3. Reselect the normal Spline tool. Now you have a bunch of control handles on the curve, which will serve as anchor points.
4. Delete the next-to-top control handle by dragging it off the curve (this makes for smoother tonal gradations). Select the top right control handle by clicking on it, then use the arrow keys to lower it 3-5 steps.

This darkens just the brightest highlights, without affecting anything else in the image.

Chris

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm copying and pasting as we speak! Thanks Chris!

Robert O'Toole
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Amy,
My guess is the posterization is from the low res of the posted image (always an issue online) plus jpeg compression (it loves to throw away tonal values, especially in our nice smooth OOF BGs). Probably not present at all in the full-res original.

I wasn't real sure about those highlights either. Could have taken care of those in curves at the same time as the overall contrast adjustment. I'll post a little "highlight tweak" tip separately.

Chris

Good chance the "posterization" is just noise created by the USM and the curves adjustment (increased contrast).

Solution: Always run NR before making adjustments.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Very nice Julie, this is one of my favorites of your actually :-) Love the BG shapes, the details and the nice soft light.

Could use a little more USM on the puff balls only!

Like the Chris repost additional pop but not the extra noise (posterization) not so much.

Robert

Mike Moats
10-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Hey Jules, very cool comp. Like both posts.