PDA

View Full Version : dried flowers

Valerio Tarone
10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I used a minimum aperture exactly to let a part out of focus. I can't have the data , 70 mm sigma . There small points of highlight spots: I think is not always negative. Or not?
I would like to have your comments.

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Valerio,

I think I understand what you were trying to do here. I just think something got a little lost in the execution. The whites look blown out to me. You probably could have gone with some more negative exposure compensation. I also think that you needed a little more dof to sharpen the flowers that are your points of focus. On the other hand, even though you opened up the aperture some of the oof background elements are still distracting.

Keep trying things. It will all come together for you.

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I totally agree with Ed's comments. You seem to have a tendency to blow those highlights and when you do you lose all the detail. Are you checking your histogram when making the image? It would also help if you would start posting your EXIF data so we could help guide you a little more.

Looking forward to the next one!

Valerio Tarone
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
thank you Ed and Julie, I always watcth the Histogram after the shot. The data, recaptured from Picture project,are:sigma 70mm spot, Aperture priority, ISO 400 1/50 f 2,8. So I had to >the ISO to have moreDOF. Yes iit should be less dark. I was triyng to apply the idea of minimum aperture. Also a different discussion:do you think highlight spots must absolutely be eliminated? I think it depends from case to case.I've seen today,in first view, the G.D.T.de award publication on line: one image has certainly highlight spots! You can see but only in german, for now.

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Valerio, if the place where the blown highlights appear is of no consequence to the image and there's no expectation of detail in the area where they occur then I don't have a problem with them. However...I do think we should do absolutely everything we can to avoid that happening because one of the reason viewers like photographs is because they see details they wouldn't have noticed on their own. If those details are hidden under blown highlights then what's the point? Also, why would someone WANT to have blown highlights? They certainly don't add to a photograph in 99.9% of the images and always leave me thinking "Didn't that person have a clue how to make a proper image?" It's very 'amateurish' to leave highlight spots with no detail in an image when the possibility exists to eliminate them - at least that is my opinion...

Mike Moats
10-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Hey Valerio, sometimes in an artistic way some blown hightlights may add an abstract feel, but I think most would agree hot spots will get few thumbs up.

Valerio Tarone
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Valerio, sometimes in an artistic way some blown hightlights may add an abstract feel, but I think most would agree hot spots will get few thumbs up.

Yes I understand, maitain the blowns only if ther's matter.
I include an image, by 'Campionato italiano fotografia naturalistica' , by mrs.Gianfranco Sala (file:///C:/Users/Valerio/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgNOT BY ME!!!!). It increase the beaty of the image. I agree.