PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo in the grass

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I had a really good trip photographing Buffalo this yearin Yellowstone. Not always as easy as it sounds. I came upon this large herd in the golden grasses early in the morning..........more space than I normally leave :D........but it seems to work for me in this one.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 300-800mm lens at 610mm and ISO 800 for 1/500th of a sec. at f7.1. All mounted on tripod w/ wimberly head. Full Frame.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Cindy Cone
10-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I agree - not as easy to get good bison photos as it might seem. This is a great one. I like the light, pose and composition here. It seems like there's a slight halo effect around the bison on my monitor.

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Interesting Cindy........I went back to the original Tiff........and you are talking about the back side of the buffalo??......because that's where i see it on the original also. Don't know what it is.........but will work on it! thanks!

Grady Weed
10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I see this as a whole interring the scene. Although the eye is just above center, the whole body is coming in from the upper right and looking left and at you. the eye contact, sunny grass, nicely contrasted with the dark browns really adds here Roman. Rich golden light, yellow hues on the right side of the buffalo, the melting sea of grass reflects the early morning sun. I like the space on the left, room to move and walk in. Leave it as is as far that one goes.

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Now you made me jealous as I will be doing this again next month in Oklahoma and yes it is hard to get a good image of these guys.

Wider in the grass was definitely the right decision. Perfect position on him with no deep shadows and a glint in the eye.

denise ippolito
10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Roman, This is really nice. I like the way it's framed, I like the little extra room- It's a big animal! The colors are great.

Steve Canuel
10-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Roman,
Looks like you had a great trip. I really like the earthy colors and the angle of the buff in this one. I also like the shadow behind him as it adds to the feel of early AM light. It could be my preference for darker photos but I think you could go a bit darker on the face and still retain the detail you've captured. I think doing so would give a better transition to the darker areas on the bridge of the nose, top the head, and beard. Regardless, this one has a really nice "western" feel to it.
Steve

Paul Marcellini
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Love it Roman. Perfect amount of space for me. I really like the contrast of colors, a clean shot.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
10-13-2008, 01:29 AM
I think it is a lovely shot, nicely lit and exposed, I did wonder if just a tad more space at the top would improve the composition, but on reflection I think it is great as it is.
Jon

David Steele
10-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Great image Roman. In some respects these creatures are like the wildebeest (or gnus) of Africa which are also very difficult to photograph well. In this image I like the colours and the backdrop.

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Beautiful colors and details throughout. Amazing image. Do I really need to say that I'm so jealous of it I could spit? Cause I could. :eek::D:eek:

DanWalters
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Nice shot! I like the highlight in the eye and the colors as well.

Ed Cordes
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I like the head turn and eye contact. The colors compliment each other well. I like the room around him. Kind of gives a sense of space.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
This is a good one. I like the light and the composition. Well done.

peter delaney
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
love it... great shot.

Mike Lentz
10-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Great shot! Eye appealing colors throughout the image!