PDA

View Full Version : American Kestrel

Glenn Romain
10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I think is my best Kestrel image yet . It was taken Hand Held at 500mm with a D80. It was quite overcast and a bit windy , also added a bycolor filter to the sky because it was totaly grey and bland. I know its not sharp and not quite in focus but these guys are tough to capture in my neck of the woods lol

As always im open to all critique :)

Gus Hallgren
10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Glenn,

I know exactly what you mean with these guys. In my experience, they are usually high on a power line, sun in wrong position, and not sitting long enough for a tripod or monopod..

I think you got a super photo, and the BG is outstanding.

Uncle Gus (One Canuck to another) :D

denise ippolito
10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Glenn, I agree w/ Gus they sure are tough to photograph. I hope you continue to shoot them and share w/ us .good job!

Gus Hallgren
10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi: Took liberty of selectively lightening bird, and slight crop, no sharpening, same as original if you notice around beak, wire and parts of body . . . Uncle Gus

Gail Spitler
10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
I like the color and bg - the rest you already knew. I agree that they take a great deal of patience to capture well.
For my own images, I am trying not to waste time and pixels on birds on overhead lines. The images I get really never measure up for me.
Gail

Gus Cobos
10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Glenn,
I am going to give you; a free get out of jail pass for the head angle; considering the conditions you went through in order to make this happen...:eek::D I like the composition, using the colored filter is a plus on the sky. I like the diagonal perch. I like Uncle Gus' repost; the saturation can be backed down just a wee bit...congrats on you capture...looking forward to seeing more of these guys...good show...:cool:

By the way, Your get out of jail card is good for this time only....:eek::D

Glenn Romain
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Uncle Gus they really are hard to capture alright and i like what you did with your edit TY :) Denise they are forever on my list ,i have seen others in this forum and i have a long way to go . Thanks for taking the time to coment Gail its hard for me to ignore the wire shots lol im a power Lineman :) Gus thanks for the get out of jail pass lol i probably wont see anymore of these guys till next spring but you never know there could be a few late ones around yet.

Julie Kenward
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
That lighting is amazing! I think you made the most of the opportunity, Glenn. I'd say the only thing missing is a catchlight in his eye.

Alfred Forns
10-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Glenn they are tough to capture period !!!!

Sure wish you had that lens on a tripod ..... considering did real well Did not see a comp listed but the image is a bit underexposed Do like it and particularly like the selected bird in frame placement !!!

Glenn Romain
10-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Julie , the photoshop filter gets all the credit for lighting ,the original was just plain dull Grey. Alfred exposure is something im gonna have to pay more attention to , i have only been playing with the M settings for about 3 weeks now . Theres so much to learn here. In the future i will post most of my settings used and hope you guys will give me some suggestions. Thanks for now everyone :)

PS: yes i have to use my tripod more Alfred :)