PDA

View Full Version : H-o-t...

Ed Vatza
10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
that's Hopper On Teasel. I said back in the Spring that Teasel is one of my favorite floral subjects through all four seasons. I was checking out some dried teasel pods and found one hosting a late season hopper.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox, tripod mounted with a Novoflex Focusing Rail.

1/5 sec @ f/22; ISO 800; +2/3 EV; FEC -1

Robert O'Toole
10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Ed,
The subjects are interesting and the action is great, looks like a comfortable place to be for a grasshoppper :-O

Detail and sharpness are nice also.

The cropping is a little tight for me. Also the WB looks very cold, looks like Canon AWB.

Robert

Julie Kenward
10-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Cool! I like the tight crop -but I almost always do - but I think Robert's right on about the color balance. It feels like it's halfway between a regular image and a high-key image. I'd pick one and take it there.

You are the Mike Moats of Teasel in my book!

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Robert. Thanks Jules. Appreciate the feedback particularly re: the WB. Yes Robert, it was Canon AWB. And no Jules - at this point, I'm no Mike Moats of nuttin'! :)

Anyway, I popped this image in the oven and warmed it up a bit. Better?

Chris Starbuck
10-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Ed,
Oh, yeah! The hopper looks much more comfy. And I'm with Jules; I like the tight crop. The hopper's the star, the teasle's just (very good!) supporting cast.
Chris

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Chris. You're right. Even though I love to shoot Teasel, this is a grasshopper image with the Teasel being the perch, if you will. So yes, I prefer the tighter crop here. I actually did a couple of images even tighter than this. When I tried to back out, the image became Teasel-with-Hopper rather than Hopper-on-Teasel. And T-w-H didn't have the feel as H-o-T!!! :D

Amy DeStefanis
10-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Ed,

Great hopper! (and teasel) The warmer version shows the green of the hopper's belly better.

:)

Amy D.

Ed Vatza
10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Amy. As always, I appreciate the feedback. We're always striving to get better.

Joanna Trescott
10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I like the tight crop, but I always get nailed for it. What a colorful grasshopper. I like the composition and BG.