PDA

View Full Version : Teton Evening

John Blumenkamp
10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
This is a capture from my time last week in Grand Teton National Park. As I'm sure many know, the sunsets let you play with silhouettes of the peaks as you face the range looking west. I thought the light on this particular evening made for an interesting image... hope to hear what others think.

Thanks for looking,
John

40D w/ 70-200 f/4 IS @ 111mm
1/1250 sec f/8 iso200

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-10-2008, 09:17 PM
John- Thanks for posting. I likw this image as I have been in the Tetons on several occasions and have seen this kind of a sunset. You did a great job in showing it as it is. I looks to me as it might be a bit noisy, but it might be that I am always looking for noise in this type of low light image. Did you run it though a noise filter? All and all I really like your sunset.
Mac

Julie Kenward
10-11-2008, 02:04 PM
John, this is really lovely. I would encourage you to tweak this in curves a bit - I think you could get a little better separation between the dark tones if you did and that would give the viewer just a little more of the image to look at.

John Blumenkamp
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Julie - I processed and posted this from my laptop, and agree with your comment about tweaking the curves. I've done that and posted the tweaked version from my desktop... I think the separation you mentioned looks a little better now.

Ed Cordes
10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I like the post I am seeing - is it the tweaked one? I like the layers and the unusual presentation of these mountains.

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi John,
I am thinking this is the tweaked version. Next time ...........just leave upthe original..........and re-post the tweak so others can compare. This shows the atmospheric layers very nicely. I would be tempted to mess with H&S.........but I like this as presented with just the hint of the glaciers on the mountains.

PS Looks like the rest of the trip went well after I met you.

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2008, 12:29 PM
This works very well with the play of light in the mountains and the placement of the brighter area on the right of the tall peak.

Judd Patterson
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Well seen John. I've noticed very similar light in Grand Teton and it does create a nice photograph. The subtle treeline and the hints glaciers on the peaks add some interest to the classic shape of the Teton peaks.