PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Inside The Pen With Mariah!

Grady Weed
10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time: 10/11/2008 10:56:46, Shutter Speed 1/13Sec. On Gitzo Tripod with Wimberly 2 Head, Vertical, Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1, ISO 640, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length: 300.0 mm. Cropped to 90% of frame left here and for a 9x12 print.

I choose to give going in the pen a try. She let me come to within 10 feet of her and she lay down, went to sleep for a few minutes and even got a drink of water. Her bowl was 4 feet from. Folks, no one, men anyway, has ever gotten this close to her without a growl and a fierce look, then a nip or two on your way out! She is incredible to be with. I wish I could take her home with me. Even thought she is in an enclosure, it is the best thing for her. I would love her to be running free in Yellowstone or the Maine North Woods. But she would be shot on sight by some person afraid of what she "might do". So for now, this is where she is safe.

At 1/13 for shutter speed, this is pretty darn good, especially for my shaky nerves. But please feel free to critique this image and highlight the things you like about it, please. I was able to put the sun to my left and pretty much behind me. So the shadows were lessened somewhat across the face and body. I think for her pen and the circumstances, this pretty much the best I can do. Unless she lets me closer for my MK2n and the 28-135. Now that might be interesting!

Cindy Cone
10-11-2008, 12:15 PM
What an experience, Grady! I really like the eye contact here. The only thing I find a little distracting is the white highlights on the left.

Ed Cordes
10-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Great experience. you did well for 1/13. Of course this makes the eyes just OOF, but still a great image. I agree the white on the left side of the image is a bit hot.

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Grady,
Must have been thrilling. You could tone down the whites a bit....but I had to use the healing brush. I also selectively sharpened the eyes.........as at f8........even at 1/13th sec.........sharpness appeared to be there.

I like the way you worked with what you had and hope you get plenty more opportunities......but maybe not with the 28-135.

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
See this one after your later post Grady and I like the crop much better. Roman's sharpening the eyes is just the touch it needed.

Grady Weed
10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
I can see a difference in the eyes of Romans version and mine. I sometimes cannot tell id Mariah's eyes are just milky that day or a slight blur due to the low light or me or....

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I really like imaging the wolves. If anyone wants to come to Maine and see them, please feel free to look me up.

Bob Malbon
10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Grady, Where did you get this? Bob