PDA

View Full Version : Clouds abstract

Sabyasachi Patra
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Canon EOs 40D, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, ISO 100, f3.5, 1/400

Shot this recently. I was experimenting. I would appreciate your comments.

Chris Starbuck
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Sabyasachi,
I like this! Very nice framing and color. Dramatic lighting. Lots of interesting shapes to explore, and the darker clouds around the edges keep my attention from wandering out of the frame. Well done!

A personal preference, entirely a matter of taste and whether your intent is to show softness or detail: I often like to see a little more contrast and detail in clouds. The USM local contrast enhancement technique (run unsharp mask with a relatively small amount, around 25, a large radius of around 25-50, and 0 threshold) will both increase the contrast (can be made very subtle) and detail. Use a duplicate layer, set to luminosity blending mode, then tweak the opacity to taste.

Chris

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Sabyasachi,
I too like the abstract presentation but agree with Chris that it could use a bit more pop. The blues looked a bit dark/unnatural to me.........so I did a bit of a levels adjustment to lighten the whole thing. Then I ran Chris's recommendation...........USM at 20 amount.........30 radius........0 threshold...........and finally a petty agressive round of sharpening..........to bring out more detail. As always........these do become highly personal corrections to taste...........but this will sho you a few directions you could go with if you choose.......and maybe adopt a few for yourself.........or none at all..........but worth investigating.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi Chris and Roman,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. the repost looks better.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Sabyasachi,

You did well seeing this image and composing it. The tweaks really finish it off to perfection. Nice work.