PDA

View Full Version : Wheel (Assassin) Bug

Anita Rakestraw
10-10-2008, 04:39 AM
I'm kind of fascinated with these wheel bugs. I think the "wheel" is terrific. :D They have a long "snout" which they tuck in to an opening in the front of their body. They are not particularly aggressive, but if bothered enough, are said to have a painful but harmless bite.

I have images of them where more detail is in focus, but I kind of like this one. Got the head/eye sharp, most of the rest is not in focus, and wonder what your opinion of that is.

9-27-08, 6:06 p.m.
1DMkIII, 100 mm macro, tripod
1/640, f/3.2, ISO 200

Julie Kenward
10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
I really like it, Anita, but think it might be even stronger if you moved the bug a little more to the bottom right corner just a bit - more in the ROT position. He feels a bit centered as presented.

I really like the DOF and wow...what a cool bug! I've never seen one before so this is a real treat!

Jerry van Dijk
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Anita, cool looking bug! It has a dinosaur like quality to it, with an alien twist. It's a whole new world out there looking trough a macro lens!
I like the whole color setting of your image, but there is a little too much OOF to my liking. I would have liked a little more DOF, just enough to get the rear antenna and the rear front leg in focus. The most disturbing, however, is the large OOF area in the FG. Julie's suggestion to move the bug to the right corner should get rid of that as well.
Hope to see more of your bugs!
- Jerry -

Chris Starbuck
10-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Anita,
I'll echo the other comments on composition. A very strange and interesting insect; don't think I've ever seen one before.

A suggestion - just my opinion - I think the approach of using an extremely shallow DOF, focused on the insect's face, works best with an extreme close-up. Fill the frame with head-and-shoulders. It focuses the viewer's attention better and shows lots more detail. With the 1DIII, do you have enough resolution in the original to try an extreme crop, just to get an idea of what such a comp would look like? Another thought, given your description of the insect: do you have a 180 macro? Getting the shot isn't worth getting assassinated!:eek:

Chris

Anita Rakestraw
10-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Julie, Jerry and Chris. Pretty much agree with your assessments; just wasn't sure about this one! No, Chris, I don't have a 180....haha! Actually, they seem to not be very comfortable having their picture taken, keep trying to crawl out of sight...and they'll fly off if they really get tired of you!

Here's an extreme crop - but it makes for a very small image.

Mike Moats
10-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Hey Anita, very cool critter. More DOF as this guy screams for more details to show off its interesting body.

Anita Rakestraw
10-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Mike!

Robert O'Toole
10-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Anita,

Focus is right on where it is most important. The object the insect is crawling on seems man made, I think it would have been more attractive to wait for it to crawl to something more natural of help him move with a stick or leaf.
Also the WB is very blue, I think removing some of the cast would look good also.

Try to look for the Milk weed assassin, its orange and black, usually found on milkweed :-)

Also correct about this guy but the south and central american cousins, carry Chagas, a potentially lethal disease :-O

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank you, Robert. So maybe the assassin bugs from the south are responsible for the name?? Not sure if I've seen the milk week assassin; I'll keep my eye out next season.