PDA

View Full Version : Motif: Stag's Head

SeanKP
10-10-2008, 02:35 AM
No Autumnal (Fall) colours here yet so one from last year that makes me smile.

Canon 5D + Sigma 170-500mm @372mm. ISO 100, F6.3 @ 1/160 sec.

Comments and criticism as always appreciated.

Cheers.

Sean

Alfred Forns
10-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Love it Sean

Would leave the extra space to the right of frame. Love the setting and look Big Congrats on this fine image !!!!!

denise ippolito
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Sean I like it too. The colors are rich and it feels like you are there. Nice shot!

Cheryl Flory
10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I love the colors and the stag's head rising above the autumn foliage (ferns?). But without space for the stag's virtual body and legs, I get the feeling that the head is floating about in the image.
Did you do some cloning in the foliage? Or what is causing the out of focus areas?

Gus Cobos
10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Nicely done Sean,
I like the capture...how close were you?:cool:

Lance Peters
10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Shawn - Like to colours and the overall feel - agree with Cheryl on the felling of the head floating in space.
:)

Nonda Surratt
10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Cool head shot Sean!! I agree with Alfred on more space on the right. Lovely vibrant colors!

Gus Hallgren
10-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi Sean
[
Super photo, and definitely reminds me of fall in Northern B. C. Great rack and rich colors that show off the Stag.

Thanks for sharing.

Uncle Gus :D

Gus Hallgren
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Folks:

Does this idea have any merit? Head not floating, no canvas rerquired on right to center. A bit rough around the edges . . .:eek: Just an idea to munch on ;);)

Uncle Gus :D:D

SeanKP
10-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Hi all. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I very much appreciate it. Some very interesting comments too.

Gus C. - Pretty close as I recall. It's virtually full frame. I've taken a tiny bit off the bottom and the LHS.

Alfred / Nonda, I haven't cropped anything from the RHS. Unfortunately, this is how I framed it at the time.

Cheryl, I've not done any cloning. The OOF areas at the bottom are just that, bits of bracken in the foreground. There are gaps in the bracken higher up through which one can see the background which do look a bit odd at this size. Is that what you mean?

With regard to the 'floating head', that's actually why this shot makes me smile. The whole situation was quite funny. I was walking along a path through the bracken with no idea that the stag was there. Suddenly, up popped this head. It gave me quite a start. He checked me out for a few seconds during which time I managed to get the tripod onto the ground, zoom out to frame him and fire off two shots. He then casually wandered off. It was a slightly surreal experience and I quite like that the picture reflects that a little.

Uncle Gus, you have very cleverly anchored the head. I like what you have done but it is a different shot altogether.

Thanks all.

Sean

Cheryl Flory
10-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Sean, thanks for the additional info. very interesting

Chris Hansen
10-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Sean,
I love the colors and i especially like the sharpness and detail of the Stag. This image caused me to laugh. It is so cool o see the stags head floating above the bracken.
Chris

Richard Waas
10-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Sean, with your original post I could just picture the head just popping up out of nowhere. Could have called it "Up for some fresh air". I much prefer the original post. Love the colors, Richard

Jackie Schuknecht
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Like the colours and the original post the best. Like how the white on the tips of the antlers really separate it from the BG.