PDA

View Full Version : Just Hanging Dude

Bill McCrystyn
10-09-2008, 11:55 PM
D300 70-200VR 1.7X ISO1600 F/11 1/125 EFL 510 Handheld

This nocturnal Walking Stick was taking her (most are female) afternoon nap in the normal hanging upsidedown postion. One of the rare creatures that can lay their eggs and hatch them without a male counterpart. They are leaf eaters and make great pets for kids. Hidden in a tree or bush they virtually disappear. A full grown adult is approxamatley 4-5 inches long.

Anita Rakestraw
10-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Nice job, Bill, and I enjoyed the information. I've tried and failed several times to get an image of one of these that I'd be willing to post - I always find them on the house....not a good background! What I see that is distracting to me in this image, is a lightening of the blue around the antennae and forelegs, and generally the front part of the body; also some sort of mottling around and below the leaf at the left side. Looks like the sky color should be smooth and uniform but it isn't. I hope it's not just my monitor, I did calibrate it finally....

Julie Kenward
10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I see it, too, Anita. I'd take the clone tool, change it to either "color" or "darken" and run it over the areas that are a bit lighter. I think you'll find that's a real easy way to bring that back to look much more natural.

I'm with Anita...I never see these in the wild...only on buildings. Good for you for keeping your eyes open!

Bill McCrystyn
10-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks ladies. I thought I could get away with it but I'm busted. I have been playing around with filters on sky and have not got it right yet. It was worse. After the filter was applied it was "streaky" so I did clone it off some but obviously not enough.

Trick - when you find them on buildings, grab them between your index finger and thumb right behind their front legs and move them to a bush or plant. They don't squish and are pretty hardy little creatures. Be careful of the pinchers on the tail as they eject a rare nuero toxin that will paralize your left side for three or four days.

Anita Rakestraw
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
You're kidding about the 3-4 day paralyzation, Bill - aren't you?!! That sounds rather serious - you're sure they make good children's pets??? I'm not too sure I'm going to be handling them anymore!! (But your suggestion to move them to a tree or something was good - I thought, DUH, should have thought of that - until I read the rest!)

Bill McCrystyn
10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
You can overcome this problem. What I do is hit them first with a stun gun to demobilize them and then it's a simple matter. I used to remove the pinchers while they were out cold but Animal Cruelty had warrants out for my arrest. :D

Anita Rakestraw
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
You're too funny, Bill!!

Mike Moats
10-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Hey Bill, very nice pose, and you already know what needs to be done.