PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ranch Sunset

david cramer
10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
In preparation for a workshop, did a run by Ghost Ranch as the sun set. The colors are as they appeared.
Nikon D300 with 80-400mm @ 400mm (not your typical landscape lens!), f/8, 1/320, iso 200
http://davidwcramer.smugmug.com/photos/390507952_TdRam-O.jpg

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2008, 12:29 PM
David,

This needs some more sharpening.

400mm for landscape works for me and was a good choice here.

Dave Mills
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
The light is beautiful...I would of handled the image somewhat differently. I would have put the rock formation more to the left and had more space in front of it. That would of made the interesting formation more of a center of interest.

david cramer
10-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Robert - I couldn't increase overall sharpness without getting halos, but I did some selective sharpening and it helped a great deal. I've got it on my web site now. Much appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi David,
robert's sugggestion was right on..........and I see you corrected it. Exploring the other comp may have been interesting.........but I don't know what is to the right of the formation. I like using telephotos for landscapes..........they are sometimes quite effective ..........as it was in this case........by isolating in on the subject.

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. Robert - I couldn't increase overall sharpness without getting halos, but I did some selective sharpening and it helped a great deal. I've got it on my web site now. Much appreciated!

I bet that you got those halos right at the rock/sky interface too. In those instances I will select the sky, invert the selection, contract it, feather it and then sharpen the selection. This helps eliminate the halos as you are not sharpening the edge at the sky/rock interface. I do that with landscapes and birds all that time.

Thanks for mentioning it as I should have realized that would be a problem with this image.