PDA

View Full Version : Another Sunset at Bryce

Douglas Bolt
10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
This image was taken about 20 min before the one I posted yesterday.

Canon 5D, 24-105@24, cropped slightly to get rid of the 5D/24-105 dark corners, f11, 1/30, ISO 100, CP, and tripod.

PP: Bridge - contrast 54, Clarity 31, Vibrance 26, boosted Saturation of yellows, oranges and blues and minus Luminosity of blues and oranges. Also did capture sharpening in Bridge.

CS3 - selected highlights and did a multiply blend layer. Selected midtones and did a screen blend layer. Boosted contrast a bit with Curves. Burned slightly the clouds just above the horizon. Photokit selective and output sharpening.

The contrast might be just a bit "in your face" and I'm not sure about the lower light spot on the tree at the left. I thought about cropping a bit off the top, but decided to leave it 2x3. Let me know what you think.

Roman Kurywczak
10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Douglas,
this is a tough one..........the bright area on the left ........with the tree is too contrasty for me. The right area............tonal wise....even though it goes into shadow is more pleasing. Did you try selectively toning down that area??? May be worth investigating as now it does draw the eye. for me..........the tress gotta' go with a crop and you could proportionally remove off the sky (just don't clip the cloud) without losing much interest.

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Doug,

I agree with Roman's assessment but would like to add that you need to use the opacity slider more when tweaking. The contrast is a bit too much in your face.