PDA

View Full Version : Copper Harbor Colors

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I was in Upper Peninsula of Michigan to shoot waterfalls and fall colors. The color was at peak, but it seemed around the waterfalls it was still green, but also cedar and tamarack seem to be the tree of choice around falls also.

I shot this in the morning in gales force wind coming off of Lake Superior at Copper Harbor or as they call it up there the end of the earth.

canon markIII, 70-200 2.8 Is, iso 100, f/8.0, -1/3

Douglas Bolt
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Very nice image. Peaceful and subtle. Nicely exposed and good colors.

I doubt that this was the scene that you saw, but as soon as I saw your initial image, I just had to go over the top a bit with it. Hope you don't mind. I think I still prefer your version, but I did have fun tinkering.

PP - with Hue/Sat boosted and lightened yellows and reds. Also with selective color added a little black to the reds. Also added more sharpening, which may also be a little too much.

Again, thanks Dennis for posting a very nice image.

Roman Kurywczak
10-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Dennis, (or Curly?? which do you prefer??)
Sweet colors........but I do find myself looking for a center of interest. The evergreen in the LL third does provide a base somewhat.........but it's small size isn't enough to carry the image overall for my tastes. The dagonal line the evergreens and bare trees make is almost enough to carry the image also.......but now it tends to split the view diagonally into 2 images. I wonder if making a total blur or abstract would have workrd here??? Not sure.....but I hope others chime in.

Bruce Murden
10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
See... I knew I was up there a week too early. Posted one in Eager To Learn for the 1/2 monthly assignment. You got great colors, and I like the pine break between the sets of deciduous trees. Nice job!

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Dennis,

I am liking this probably more then Roman as just a study in shapes and colors (hence his suggestion of a blur was a good one). I would have moved the camera up to get the diagonal line of bare trees making the upper/lower parts of the frame symmetrical. Static, yes but it may have produced a nice harmony to the image. Of course, you could crop that arrangement from the image posted.

Some more sharpening is needed.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Roman, Dennis or Curly is ok. I see what you're saying and I agree that I need a better center of interest, I though I could pull it of with the split between the colors but need a little more.

Doug the colors are awesome up on the point with the clean Lake Superior air and first light coming off the lake.

Robert could you crop image so it is frame symmetrical . Thanks

Here is another image of a fuller view of the colors coming down the hill and stopping at the stand of evergreens.

Travis Peltz
10-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Dennis,
I like the 1st to images, but the last one above my post is stunning! It might be just my screen, but it seems like it could use a little bit more sharpening.

I was at Ocqueoc Falls today near my home in the northeast LP, and the colors are prime here also!