PDA

View Full Version : Midway Geyser Basin Run-off

Roman Kurywczak
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
This is an image of the run-off of Grand Prismatic Geyser. I took an ultra close up of it.............but I also like the trees peeking through the mist on the right..........not sure about the empty room on the left .....but it seems to be balnced with the flow.......for my tastes but I welcome your opinions.
Canon 1D Mark 3 with the 28-135mm lens at 80mm and ISO 100 for 1.6 seconds at f22. I used my hand to block the UR corner for about 1/2 a sec.

Chris Starbuck
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Roman,
The colors of Grand Prismatic are always interesting, but I think you've captured something unique here. I love the way the mist fades the color from brilliant at the far left to completely monochrome at the right. I share your uncertainty about the gray void at upper left; it draws my eye, but not strongly, and in a way it balances the mist at lower right. I would really miss those misty trees at the upper right if you cropped off the UL gray area.

I used my hand to block the UR corner for about 1/2 a sec.An improvised 1/2 stop grad ND! (yes, I did the math -- it's 1/2 stop) Kind of restricted to long exposures, but a neat technique! Must remember that one; I'm glad you included it in your description.

Chris

Douglas Bolt
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice!

I like the transition from crispy sharp on the left to steam on the right. The trees barely showing through the steam also add a nice touch of mystery and perspective.

I had to Google the geyser to find out where it is located. I don't recall seeing it before.

Julie Kenward
10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Beautifully seen, Roman and I agree about the trees on the UR...in fact, I wish I could see them just a little bit better. They add a very nice touch to that barren BG. Any chance you can pull them up just a bit more?

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Roman can use a Local Contrast Enhancement to open up the fog some. I tried a global curves adjustment, followed by a LCE, and then a Shadows/Highlights adjustment to see what it would look like so I posted it. For the LCE, I masked out some of the rocks as it made it too contrasty.

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey Robert,
I definitely like what it did to the tree line. I'll definitely mess around with it.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Lovely mist & the vapours (??) in this image. The image looks as though it might require some CCW rotation but am almost certain that u wud've taken care of the tilt & perhaps the real scene itself appears bit tilted. May be its just an illusion :D

The black regions of the rock on the left edge is a bit distracting but I guess there was nothing much one cud do about it.