PDA

View Full Version : Tree trunk

Sabyasachi Patra
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
I saw this teak tree. It is more than 450 years old. Thought of shooting the texture on its trunk. Look forward to your comments.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 100-400 L IS, Shot at 100mm, ISO 200, F13, 1/20 sec.

Chris Starbuck
10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Sabyasachi,
I love tree trunk textures, and I think this is a nice image of an interesting tree. The dark crease left of center and the knot hole at the right both add a lot of interest over the basic texture, and placing both near the horizontal "thirds" of the frame is good. I think it would benefit from increased contrast and saturation, and a bit more sharpening, to bring out the rich detail and warm colors more. The composition might have been stronger with the knot hole placed higher in the frame and the grain on a stronger diagonal, that is, with the camera rotated a bit clockwise (which would rotate the image CCW).

Chris

Robert O'Toole
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Sabyasachi

At first glance the patterns and textures look great and the background info makes it even more interesting. The dark crease on the left is actually a termite mud tube, these connect a nest in the ground to a feeding site, so there is a story behind the picture. One of life, death and renewal in the forest. Looks sharp with plenty of detail on my monitor.

As a fine point I would raise or lower the hole to place it more in line with the rule of thirds. Also I would lighten the image up just a little.

Robert

Mike Moats
10-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey Sabyasachi, Nice image, and agree with chris that a little boost in contrast would make the it pop. A tighter shot of the hole and its swirling lines, would also make a interesting comp.