PDA

View Full Version : Bryce sunset

Douglas Bolt
10-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Just returned from a most enjoyable 2 wk tour through the usual stops in S UT and N AZ. Nice to be back in Maryland, but I sure do miss the beauty of the great SW. Lots of processing to do....

Canon 5D, 24-105 @ 24 (slight crop to eliminate the dark corners), f20, -.33, 2s, ISO 100, CP, & tripod. PP: not much, but a little burning on the upper left corner and boosted the yellows to bring out more detain in the green tree.

Might be a little crunchy and some might crop the foreground wood and some might tone down the magenta cast (I didn't add it), but let me know.

Robert Amoruso
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Doug,

I like your fuzzy clouds due to the 2 second shutter speed. Some might not like the blue cast in the FG shadow but I am OK with it. Canyon wall colors look OK to me.

I am wondering if including more of the truck in the FG would have been preferable. On that subject, the trunk was obviously cut which I find bothersome in an image so devoid of hand of man - a minor point to be sure but I hope you got one w/o the trunk.

The curvature of the canyon leads the eye around nicely.

Bruce Murden
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Doug, Robert hit the points I could find. I love the canyon colors, and think the blue FG shadow goes well with the blue sky to frame the canyon textures and colors. Can't wait to see more from your trip!

Julie Kenward
10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Beautiful image, Doug. I agree with Robert that a little more of the tree would have made for an interesting FG as the limbs seem to add a lot of textural interest. It's beautiful as presented, though!

Roman Kurywczak
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey Douglas,
I know the area well.......I'm 90% sure there is no way to eliminate the stump w/o cutting the evergreen in this area...........so you handled the comp as well as could be expected in this location.....(well....maybe a 10 foot step ladder)....but short of risking life and limb......personal taste....but I may try a version with a slightly less blue tone.....just for comparison........but that is always a personal choice. As Robert mentioned.........the curve is really working well in the image.

Douglas Bolt
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. They were good ones.

Here's the results of color correction using Threshold followed by Curves and setting the RGB dark eyedropper to 10 and the lightest eyedropper spot to 245. Much improved, in my opinion. I originally thought the color cast was a slight magenta, but upon closer examination, it was blue. I didn't try just reducing the blues. Maybe I should have, but I generally use the Threshold:Curves approach for color corrections.

And, yes, I'll post some more from the trip. I have some from Upper Anelope Canyon that I really need some help on..... or maybe the just practice with the delete key.

Roman Kurywczak
10-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi Douglas,
Works for me. The shadow areas really popped. Nice work!
Lokking forward to the antelope canyon ones.

Ed Cordes
10-11-2008, 09:19 PM
The repost improves the original a lot and I liked the original. RE the magenta - that's the way it is our there. I looked at the white of the clouds and could tell the colors were accurate. To me the trunk adds a lot of interest.