PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination Post

Paul Marcellini
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I needed some time away from quarterly taxes and preparing for the show. =) This is from the same night as Blue& Gold. I really pay attention to how the clouds play into compositions which put me with a 50/50 horizon. Sometimes it bugs, other times it works. Wondering what you guys think.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20d 10-22@14mm f18 iso200 polarizer blend of - 1.3s 1/6s 1/13s

Roman Kurywczak
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey Paul,
I don't mind the 50/50 split here.........because as always..........you have a very strong FG element present. I don't even mind half the rock..........as it seems to be pointing at the sun and the whole rock........may have been too dominant in the frame. Another winner IMO.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Paul,
This is fabulous, as always. I like the rock in the foreground. I feel it adds to the composition. I think there is scope for little bit crop from the bottom, but not much.

Robert Amoruso
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
WOrks for me Paul,

Reflection images with symmetry top to bottom generally work well as demonstrated here. The FG rock adds additional interest.

Chris Starbuck
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Paul,
First, I love it and would not change a thing! Really beautiful sunrise, great comp, colors, balance, lighting (especially like the transition from light to dark, top to bottom). A crop down from the top to about the top of the darker clouds would put the horizon in the more traditional ROT position, but would leave you with an overall darker image, which would change the whole mood; I would not do it.

As Robert mentioned, symmetry often lends itself to a more centered composition, especially if your intent is to convey peacefulness, which this image certainly does.

This is one to frame (big!).

Chris

Grady Weed
10-08-2008, 04:32 PM
You certainly could keep this one as is, and no one could fault you for doing so. It stands on its own and is very nice. I think it would have been nice as well to image one actually in the water, horizontally, with the reflection in the frame, and catching the sun going down, as you did. Only this crop would be catching more of the sky, with no rock and more of the saw grass tot he right in the frame. Just a thought. You do very good work Paul. You draw the viewer in and emotionally attach them to the image. You make me homesick.

Bruce Murden
10-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Beautiful result. There's a lot of coordinated interest here for us to see. As I keep looking at it, I really like the tiny size of the sun, and its presence is powerful here -- the image would be lacking something important. Great job!

Julie Kenward
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Spectacular lighting and exposure. I am in awe of how you get everything perfect in these image, Paul.

Kaushik Balakumar
10-16-2008, 08:10 PM
The grass & the rock form lovely FG elements. Nice warm sky.
I don't mind the equally divided frame.