PDA

View Full Version : Last Big Horn Image

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
This is the last Big Horn Mountain image I will post as four is enough. I want to thank all of you who have viewed the postings and thnk you for all the critiques and suggestions. They have been more than helpful. Hope you like this last one and please send you suggestions and help. This was taken with my Nikon D3. The shooting information is below:

2008:09:25 17:15:23
28-70mm @ 70mm
70mm (in 35mm film)
1/1000 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1
ISO: 200
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 13.9MB
Image size: 3036 x 2010
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Paul Marcellini
10-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Great open scene. i like the mix of aspen and evergreens. The strip of vegetation in the foreground is a nice balance. I think it could use a touch of brightness and more so contrast.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Paul-

Here I tried your suggestion added +20 brightness and +20 contrast. What do you think?

Mac

Roman Kurywczak
10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Wheeler,
do you prefer Mac???........any way......I do like the comp very much.......but agreed with Paul on the brightness and contrast. I also though the sky could be toned down a bit.........so I multiplied a layer at 36% opacity on the sky........and did a locl contrast adjustment using USM at amount 20.......radius 45.....threshold 0. Definitely more pop..........but I liked the contrast boost you did in the re-post..........so you may just want to explore darkeniing the sky to your tastes. All in all.........these are just tweaks to a very nicely composed image.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Roman-

I really like yours better than mine. I like the way the middle distance mountains pop and the forest is deffinately better. All and all yours is better than mine. Thanks for the help. Yes- I perfer Mac

Mac

Robert Amoruso
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Paul-

Here I tried your suggestion added +20 brightness and +20 contrast. What do you think?

Mac

Mac, If you used the Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast to make you changes, I would warn against that. This adjustment is global and like trying to thread a needle with a hammer. For contrast increases, it is best to use a curves adjustment or the USM local contrast enhancement Roman suggested.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Robert-

Thank you for the information. I would inquire as to how you make the local USM. Do you pick it with a layer adjusment of just a selection? Thanks.

Mac