PDA

View Full Version : Not You Again!?!?!

Ed Vatza
10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/044-Edit-2.jpg

Been to Sandy Hook (NJ) three times in the past month and each time there have been two (I assume the same) American Oystercatchers up on North Beach. This is one of the first Oystercatcher images that I made this past Saturday morning. To me, it looks like the the Oystercatcher is "thinking" - "Oh no! Not you again!"

Canon 30D; Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS w/ 2x TC; Tripod-mounted

1/3200 sec at f/5.6; ISO 400; 0 EV; FL 600mm

Maxis Gamez
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Ed,

Love the feet up. The horizon can use few CCW degrees. Head angle not ideal but lovely low angle.

Nagesh Mula
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Its a good shot Ed.
My only nit would be to smoothen some of the dirt from foreground and It would have been great had the head of the bird been slightly more angled towards right as its beautiful eyes would have added more to the picture.

Grace Scalzo
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Great title, Ed, and I like the look that you have captured. I personally would trim the entire tan band on the bottom and it's spots away, and fix the rotation. Nice work!

Ed Vatza
10-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the critiques folks. The rotation issue is not registering to my old eyes. I actually did rotate fairly significantly based on the water line on the sand (that thin tan bar at the bottom) and it looked (still looks) straight to me. Are you looking at the "wave"? If I rotate based on it, the shore line will be off by a few degrees - unless, of course, I cut off the shore line as Grace has suggested.

There are a couple of positives that I am taking away based on the lack of comment. One is the lighting. As you may remember, I had concerns about "harsh light" criticisms. So far, no harsh light comments here (of course, the skies were cloudy). That pleases me. Second, I have been real happy with the IQ I am getting from the 300 f/2.8L IS with a 2x TC. The only "softness" comments I have gotten came when I was handholding and those were minor. On the tripod, I have yet to get a single soft comment. So I am feeling even better about my decision to go with the 300 because of versatility and use the 2x with it for birds.

Again thanks for the feedback.