PDA

View Full Version : Wrentit

Joerg Rockenberger
10-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I realize the image has a busy background - and I already did some major digital bushwhacking - but I hope you still can enjoy it. This image is special to me as I usually don't photograph such small birds and due to the particular circumstances.

I was on a hike somewhere in central CA last December when I passed by some brush from which some unusual noises (at least to me) came. I stopped hoping that the birds would emerge from the dense brush but quickly suspected that this will be another fleeting little brown bird moment. Nonetheless, I took some test pics to check for and adjust the exposure. What was stunning was that the birds seemed to be curious about the sudden foreign noise. With each shot they came closer until at least one emerged from the brush and listened to it. That's the pose I captured here. It actually came even closer and within the MFD (3.5 m) of the 400F5.6. It was unreal.

And durther, this is probably one of the sharpest images I ever took handheld with the 400F5.6 - and this despite a shutter speed of only 1/125. :D

One small victory at a time:cool:.

Thanks for looking. JR

Canon 40D, 400F5.6, 1/125s, F6.3, ISO-800, EC -1/3, Eval Metering, Handheld

Desmond Chan
10-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Good sharpness and good pose. Exposure looks right to me. As for the background, personally I don't have problem with it. It's not that busy and it's the kind of environment where you usually find the small birds. But I think you may want to darken the washed-out orange color part of the background for the reason that it's brighter than the bird and so could draw the viewers' eyes to it instead of to the bird.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Great find, details and eye contact. The only part I find is distracting is the brown leaf (?) in the upper right.

Daniel Cadieux
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Nice one! Great close-up of theis small species. As you said, sharpness looks great. As for the BG - I like everything in front of the bird, but much less what is behind.

Mark Schmitt
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
One of the few Bulbul species in the United States, only one in California. These are birds that will come to "Pishing" vocalization. Try it sometime. They are also agressive in mating season. . Got the all important head and eye. All of the rest can be forgiven, given the circustances. :-)

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Ditto Axel's comments. Beautiful little bird and a first time for me. The detail and pose are very nice and many thanks for sharing this little beauty with us.

Ted Willcox
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Nice composition, nice bird, tack sharp image. The BG is what it is.
But if wanted to make it look more pleasing clone some of the green branches and leaves over the orange top and bottom right.
Yours in Wildness
Ted

Joerg Rockenberger
10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Thank you all for the kind feedback. Good idea to town down the brighter background to the right. JR