PDA

View Full Version : Palm Shadows

Harold Davis
10-05-2008, 03:40 PM
i tried to get some inspiration from Group f64 this week. so i dedicate this one to the pioneers of the early days.....only hope it is half worthy of being mentioned with that bunch!!

i always keep my eyes peeled for a healthy palm frond and thought this one got a good, clean bill of health. only b&w converted and added a little contrast then did some dodging and burning with color control points in capture nx.

D300, 70-300 at 190mm, f/5.6, 1/100s, +0.7EV, ISO 400

thanks for looking and comments and critiques are appreciated.

Gus Cobos
10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I remember this one Doctor,
I like it very much. great details and contrast...:cool:

Chris Starbuck
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Harold,
I like it! It almost vibrates just staring at it, and if I scroll up and down quickly it really moves -- looks like the fronds are flapping, trying to fly!

I wonder what the effect would be if you shot it with the same lens, same framing, but enough DOF to be sharp edge-to-edge? Or alternately, framed exactly the same but shot with a Lensbaby, perhaps at an even larger aperture?

Very cool image!

Chris

Harold Davis
10-05-2008, 05:24 PM
thanks for the post, chris! i was thinking exactly the same thing while i was processing it. we were at my wife's photography class and she had my tripod. would love to have shot this closed down a far as i could go. f/32ish and ISO 200.

the lensbaby is a good idea!! maybe gus or fabs could help us out and show us what that would look like!! they have lensbabies.

Oscar Zangroniz
10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Awesome composition H. Lots of details and excellent contrast.
Congrats.

Bruce Murden
10-05-2008, 06:18 PM
This one keeps me intensely interested. It does seem to vibrate, and there is plenty to see in the lines and tones. Lovely find and lovely capture!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Harold, this is probably my favourite ever of yours - really cool my friend!!
Regards,
Nicki

denise ippolito
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Harold this is so interesting.I see so much movement in it.I like it alot!!