PDA

View Full Version : Farmington Cemetery

Joanna Trescott
10-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I took this image on the way to the Bisti Wilderness. The moon was setting as the sun was rising. Uncropped image with shadown/highlights and curves adjustments.

Canon 10D, F14 @1/100, ISO 400, -2/3 EV.

Chris Starbuck
10-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Joanna,
I like the pastel colors. The image has a moody, kind of spooky feel to it. I wish the moon were a bit more off-center, and that there were more separation between the crosses, especially the two larger ones just left of center, and the nearest one on the right. Perhaps a little burn & dodge (lighten the two closest crosses and darken the ones behind just a little) could provide some visual separation. These old cemetaries weren't laid out as regularly as modern ones; makes it hard to find an angle of view that creates spatial separation between the markers.
Chris

Roman Kurywczak
10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi Joanna,
Chris brought out some very good points and i think are well worth exploring. His point of taking the moon off center would have also helped considerably..........but I do like the mood brought out and hope you explored this further.

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Joanna,

With the sky, the moon is easily moved if you are ok doing that type of change. I would agree the here, in this composition, central placement of the moon is not helping it.

I situation like this, I wil exposure for the subject (crosses) and then for the moon and merge the two in photoshop later.

Composition is good but I would suggest that adding more on the right so as not to clip the top of the slanted cross would have been my preference.