PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn Mountains

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, here is the third of the Big Horn Mountains of north central Wyoming. I was taken with the yellows and orange colors. It was a partly cloudy day and this image was taken without any sun out. I really like the end result. Hope you do too. This was taken with a Nikon D700. Shot details below:

2008:09:27 13:56:05
28-70mm @ 60mm
60mm (in 35mm film)
1/30 sec, f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Off
File size: 15.5MB
Image size: 3036 x 2010
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Judd Patterson
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Wheeler, it's nice to see fall in the Bighorn Mountains...you don't see that many photographs from those beautiful mountains. The yellows throughout the scene are lovely, and the cloudy conditions help to keep the contrast under control throughout the scene. The biggest downside in my opinion is the nearly pure white sky...it tends to lessen the impact of the image (and an otherwise nice composition). In these circumstances I think there was great potential for more intimate scenes by wandering closer to those aspens...hope you had the chance!

Roman Kurywczak
10-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Wheeler,
I agree with Judd's assesment. I even tried a multiplied layer of the sky......and wasn't abe to bring out any detail. If it wasn't slate grey at time of composing.......a split ND filter or an HDR..............would have worked in this case.

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Mac,

I am going to agree with Judd and Roman here, the white sky is not attractive. In instances like this, work to minimize it as much as possible. WIth the flat light, lots of more intimate images could be had here. For the larger scene like this, getting lower and/or aiming the camera down after finding an interesting FG element would have been one way to go.