PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon

Michael Lloyd
10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Meet one of my yard animals. This was shot this evening in my front yard. My plan was to shoot it when it was on the ground gathering pecans. I was going to use my 600 f4L IS and 1DMKIII. Unfortunately the DMKIII has been throwing ERR 99's and by the time I gave up on using it the light was almost gone. This was hand held at 1/10s shutter speed. I didn't want to push the ISO higher than 1000 because I don't like how the DsMKIII handles noise. Anyway... all things considered it seems to be fairly sharp (although the face is softer than I would like).

EOS 1DsMKIII
70 -200 f2.8L IS
Hand held

Shutter Speed = 1/10 second
Lens = f2.8
ISO Speed Ratings = 1000

denise ippolito
10-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I like this shot very much.It doesn't look too soft to me.

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Michael,

I moving around would have lessened the bright BG, it would be something to try. The face is soft so I would selectively sharpen that more. Exposure is good with that backlighting and the comp works well with his placement amongst the branches.

Linda Robbins
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
This guy's expression is so different....he seems very worried. I agree with Robert's point about trying to move your positioin if possible to reduce the bright BG area...but it is not always possible and with sharpening that worried face more. Maybe after he ate his fill of pecans he cheered up!

Ed Cordes
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I like the sad looking face. The bright BG is a bit distracting. More USM would help.

Michael Lloyd
10-07-2008, 10:48 PM
This guy's expression is so different....he seems very worried. I agree with Robert's point about trying to move your positioin if possible to reduce the bright BG area...but it is not always possible and with sharpening that worried face more. Maybe after he ate his fill of pecans he cheered up!

I think worried is a good description. Since he isn't a zoo creature he has to exist in an environment where something or someone is always trying to end his life. I think that I caught him off guard and within the time it takes to shoot 3 frames he climbed further up the tree and almost out of sight