PDA

View Full Version : Too Tight ?

Mike Tracy
10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Feeling kind of blah and unmotivated so I figured I would edit a few images that I have never gotten around to.

Casselman, Ontario, Canada. Lying on my fat belly. Baited.

MkIII, EF 500, 1/1300, f/5.6, ISO 800

All suggestions and criticisms welcomed.

Ramon M. Casares
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Too toght? Not at all! I love that framing! It feels like it could use some CW rotation, but overall it is a stunning shot! I specially love the fact that the bird is flying so near the groun! Cngratulaitons!

Amy DeStefanis
10-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Look at those FEET! I like being able to see the close-up details (like the feet), which would be lost with the full wingspan.... But that's just me. I'll be interested to see what others say. I would probably take out the OOF wire(?)....

Amy D.

Daniel Cadieux
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Too tight? Not at all...and I would even further crop about half of the space at top! Great low perspective. I think it could probably go a tiny bit brighter still (it's got an overall grayish feel as is).

Mike Tracy
10-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Ramon and Dan. Tried to implement them and I think I like this repost version better.

There does seem to be a blueish cast that for some reason is more prevalent in the posted jpeg as opposed to the large tiff . Not sure why. Maybe I need to start from scratch and reset my white balance.

Amy, the "wire" is his shadow.

Amy DeStefanis
10-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Amy, the "wire" is his shadow.

I guess that just goes to show how much snow this Florida girl has seen in my life. It just didn't register - even after the comment that was made about it flying so low to the ground....

:)

Amy

Rob Lavoie
10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
This is great, what a pleasure to view. I agree there is a blueish cast, but I still love it. Nice job

Linda Robbins
10-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Fabulous eye contact and wonderful detail. The repost looks even better. If this is an example of files you haven't gotten around to, you need to spend more time going through your files!

Bob Blanchard
10-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey Mike - Love this image! That bluish cast is one that I have to deal with quite a bit on the white birds/cloudy days. Not sure how everyone else handles it, but I just select the BG and do an adjustment layer>Exposure, then nudge the exposure up just a bit, and the gamma down just a bit until it looks right. On this one, you'd probably need to do both the owl and the BG to different levels, but it's pretty fast and easy. I just did the BG on this repost (I'm a little too bright on it, but you just need to play a bit till it's right), but I think it makes the point:

http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/386635081_cgcqw-X3.jpg

Doug Brown
10-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I just used Levels (Auto Levels works great too) to remove the color cast. Here's my version, along with a tighter crop.

Lance Peters
10-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Stunning - too tight - no way ! Dougs repost Rocks.:)

Fabs Forns
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Amazing capture, I love the reposts and feel extremely jealous ;)

Mike Tracy
10-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the PP help and encouraging words. I am going with this version and moving on to some more files I haven't had time to tackle.