PDA

View Full Version : Take the pebble from my hand

Michael Lloyd
01-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I saw these little guys on one of my house plants back in 2006. I've never seen so many grasshoppers in one location. They look big here but they were tiny. When I first saw them I thought some lint or a spider web had been caught on the leaf. The width of the leaf is no more than an inch to an inch and a half wide.

EOS1DsMkII
580EX Flash
100mm macro
ISO 400

1/250 @f13

http://images33.fotki.com/v1069/photos/4/42560/3212007/Grasshoppers_M4L1382_s-vi.jpg

Robert O'Toole
01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Micheal,

I like all the eyeballs and antennae, interesting subjects. They look great with the big eyes.

One thing I would mask out the hot spot in the center at the top, it takes away from the subjects.

Did you hold the flash off camera to the side?

Robert

Mike Moats
01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Hey Michael, Very cool find, great subjects and I love all the greens. I agree with Robert lose the white spots in the top BG. Well done.

Michael Lloyd
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Micheal,

I like all the eyeballs and antennae, interesting subjects. They look great with the big eyes.

One thing I would mask out the hot spot in the center at the top, it takes away from the subjects.

Did you hold the flash off camera to the side?

Robert

Robert / Mike- Thank you.

Robert- I'm sorry to say that I used a 580EX on camera. To be honest, when I took that shot I was not very well versed in the use of a flash. I've been shooting since I was 8 (off and on) but up until last year I was not a fan of using a flash. I finally made it a goal to learn to use a flash (and studio lights) last year. Today I would not shoot the image that I posted the same way. Lessons learned and all that.

Hot spots- Agreed... funny how I didn't notice those hot spots. Good call. Thanks!