PDA

View Full Version : Perched Eastern Bluebird

dhfreriks
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi all,
First time venturing a image for critique here. This is a shot of an Eastern Bluebird I had nesting in my yard this past summer near Kewaskum, WI. Taken about 7:30 a.m. in sunny conditions. Slight post processing of shadows/highlights, saturation, sharpness.

Thanks for looking and honest critiques appreciated.

Dave Freriks http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Canon 500mm IS + 1.4ext
1/800 at 6.3
ISO 400
+1/3

Doug Brown
10-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to BPN Dave! Love that electric blue on the bird, particularly against that nice green BG. Sharpness, exposure, and eye contact are all good. I would add a little canvas on the right. Look forward to more of your posts!

Grace Scalzo
10-03-2008, 07:25 PM
What a nice yard you must have....beautiful pose and eye contact. For my own personal taste, this looks slightly over sharpened and a bit too saturated.

Daniel Cadieux
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Nesting in your yard? Lucky you! Beautiful specimen....exposure and sharpness look good, but the post-processing looks a bit harsh on contrast - the light looks "hard". Love the perch, and great BG.

P.S. Welcome to BPN!!

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I agree with Grace, the image may be oversharpened. Other than that I really like your shot and I would be happy if it were mine.

James Salywoda
10-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome to BPN and a very nice first post for sure I think you could afford a little more space in front of the bird. Thanks For Sharing......

Linda Robbins
10-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Welcome to BPN and what a lovely first post. Beautiful pose and perfect head angle. Nice background as well. The image appears a little oversaturated and oversharpened to me also, but easily fixed. Looking forward to more of your images!

Ramon M. Casares
10-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I like it! Weolcome! I agree about adding a bit more canvas to the right, but other than than I like it a lot! Cngratulaitons!

dhfreriks
10-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice and compliments from everyone.... much appreciated. Sharpening is definately a learning experience as one goes. I don't recall for sure, but any + saturating I did was very minimal.... This series of photos had lots of color already with the light, bird and background at the time. I always hate to desaturate, but I probably could have done a bit of that in this case. Thanks again, Dave

Glenn Bartley
10-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Very nice shot of this handsome fella.