PDA

View Full Version : Rescue of a horrible image

Jerry van Dijk
10-03-2008, 02:45 PM
The density of these Fuller's Teasel (Dipsacus fullonum) individuals should reveal you that this is not a natural stand. Dutch farmers can receive subsidies to plant wildflower strips along their fields to promote wildlife. This is (part of) an image of such a strip. Actually, this pano was made as a rescue attempt of a horrible image made with a simple point and shoot Canon IXUS. Had play a lot with brightness, intensity and contrast to make something out of it and added the brownish hue to have some color in it. It will probably not live up to the general quality standards here, but I liked the outcome of my rescue attempt and the rare composition with this high density of plants. Hope you like it too.
- Jerry -

Stephen Stephen
10-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Jerry interesting image here. It's almost seems abstract to me. It's a bit busy to my eyes so, if you had used a DSLR I would have suggested a shallower DOF.

Chris Starbuck
10-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Jerry,
I like this kind of autumn image, and am drawn to such scenes myself. You have some nice backlighting, and the warm brown tones look good. While the density of seed heads is a large part of the attraction, it does make composition rather difficult. I think a pano format is a good choice.

I agree with Stephen re. DOF. You might be able to simulate that in Photoshop with a very small blur of the BG. (Duplicate the layer, blur the bottom layer, then on the top sharp layer mask out the BG.) I'd also suggest cropping off about 25% from the right (nothing from top, bottom or left). That will eliminate the somewhat distracting cut-off heads on the right, and leave the most prominent heads (now centered) at the ROT position, while keeping a pano format.

Chris

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Interesting interpretation Jerry. I think the image is strong graphically and with Chris' suggested crop will strengthen the concept and composition even more. Nice work.

Jerry van Dijk
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey there, thanks for all the comments! I will definately try out your suggestions, but I'm not sure how to handle the BG tweaking in Photopaint which I'm using. Should be a great learning experience to find out! I'm about to order a drawing tablet for my PP work, which includes Photoshop. Based on your detailed suggestions, Chris, I should be able to succeed.
- Jerry -