PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Coast Of Maine

Grady Weed
10-03-2008, 01:21 PM
This the view of the rocks just right of Portland Headlight, my favorite place, as if you did not know. I thought of breaking out of my comfort zone for something new. The rocky coast is sometimes hard to get right. What do you think of this view?

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 9/28/2008 17:10:33, Shutter Speed 1/60Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1 2/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 60.0 mm. Hand held.

Bruce Murden
10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I think you have a lot of potential in this location, with colorful rocks, crashing waves, and chance for more mist and fog that you had this day.

Faster or slower SS may give better effects for the water. You were in the middle, where the water is neither silky smooth nor frozen in splashes. And when you get an overcast day like this, too much sky gets flat and featureless. You can crop it out of this picture to improve it a bit. I think the light you had here was good for the colors in the rocks, but not for the water. Smaller scenes may have been more successful. Otherwise, try again in the golden hours.

Good luck with the next break from your comfort zone!

Roman Kurywczak
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey Grady,
Bruce gave some very good advice on the slower or faster shutter speeds. The white sky didn't add to the overall image and the whites looked a bit blown out. I took the image into PS and tried to bring back the highlights in shadow / Highlights.........then I multiplied a layer on the sky and water.......finally some contrast boost. Would probably turn out better on the original..........but this was the best i could do.
PS I did crop a bit off the sky.

Robert Amoruso
10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Grady,

Roman and Bruce captured my comments well. I would suggest that the FG rocks with the interesting orange colors would be better served making them more predominate in the image by aiming the lens down and/or getting lower to fill the FG with that rock.