PDA

View Full Version : Sweden highest waterfall

Johannes Glännman
10-03-2008, 07:46 AM
This waterfall, called Njupeskär is the highest in Sweden. I did manage to make any good picture on the hole fall so I did a another comp... Does it work ?

Exif:

Nikon D300
AF-S 105/2.8 VR at F9
ISO 200 and 1/8s
Tripod

Cheers // johannes

Bruce Murden
10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Johannes, I like this comp. The rocks on the right keep us in the frame. I also like the contrast between the silky smooth water and the sharp rocks.

You could also try a little tighter crop, taking a little off the bottom while leaving a rock border, and some off the right to remove the dry rocks. That would reduce the weight of the rocks in the bottom of the image. Also, the image seems flat to me. I think it would be improved with more contrast to give the rocks some pop and emphasis.
Thanks for the post!

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Johannes,

Like the crop and think it works well. Bruce's suggestion on cropping is a good one but if you do it be careful not to get small parts of the rocks protruding into the image - clone them out. I tried a crop, liked it but had a few protrusions.

Agree with Bruce on it being a bit flat. Try a Local Contrast Enhancement using USM on a BG copy at 20/50/0 settings. If unsure about how to do this, let me know. Settings for amount and radius can be varied to suit your preference.

Roman Kurywczak
10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Johannes,
Very good advice above. To add a bit of pop try USM (unsharp mask) at amount 20.......radius 50.........and Threshold 0........you can play with the amount up to about 40 or the radius anywhere from 20 - 60 and see where you like it. should help liven up the image.

Johannes Glännman
10-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi there... Happy you liked the comp and thank you for the suggestions... I added some USM on amount 15 and radius 30 (I thought it looked strange if more) and also added a bit more of (i dont know the word by I did it everything in Capture nx2 and directly translated from swedish it is called "blackcontrollpoint").....

Do you like this better?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/_DSC0613-4.jpg

Cheers // johannes

Bruce Murden
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Johannes, nice job on the repost. I like your improvements here, especially the crop which I think focuses us more on the waterfalls, leaving just enough of the rocks for a nice border.

I don't have Capture NX2, but I think your translation is fine for black control point. It sounds (and looks) like you increased the blacks here by a little bit, for some more contrast.

Roman Kurywczak
10-04-2008, 09:52 PM
hey johannnes,
looks good on my monitor too. Nicely done.

Johannes Glännman
10-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Thank you very much. Happy you liked it and I also think the repost is better then the original. Thanks for all the help on this one...

Cheers // johannes