PDA

View Full Version : tiny blue

Rene Quenneville
10-02-2008, 09:18 PM
After recommendation from forum members, I bought a Sigma 150mm macro lens last spring. Wow, what a sharp lens.
I have tried to go with a shallow depth of field in order to draw attention to the center of the flower. What do you think?

1/45s
f/6.3
+2 ev
150 mm
ISO 400

Bruce Murden
10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I really like the bloom itself, the focal point, DOF, and light purple on green. The only thing that's bothering me is the location and angel of the stem coming out of the side of the frame. For me, it has lost it's connection to the ground, and is floating unnaturally. I wonder if another angle could have give a more grounded stem while keeping the good angle on the open bloom face.

Julie Kenward
10-03-2008, 08:29 AM
My personal opinion? If you want the emphasis to be on the center of the flower only then this needs a tighter crop. If you want the entire flower to be the center of attention then you need a better DOF. I like your thought behind the image but I find my eyes wanting more to focus on - hence, the need for a tighter crop so the in-focus area is larger.

Robert O'Toole
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Glad you are enjoying your Sigma 150, its a great sharp lens and about as good of a value as Macro lenses go.

I think the image works well for me Rene, the narrow DOF effect works as planned. Keep in mind I belong to both the WOA (side open aperture) and F32 club :-)

After reading Bruce's post that side stem does look strange now. Funny I first look it didnt really notice it.

Robert

Ed Vatza
10-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Rene,

Overall I like the composition. The stem coming in from the side doesn't really bother me here probably because it is so soft. I do think you could have stopped down a little more - maybe in the f/8 to f/11 range. Hopefully that wouldn't mess with the background to much.