PDA

View Full Version : Portland Breakwater Lighthouse

Grady Weed
10-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 9/28/2008 17:53:37, Shutter Speed 1/50Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1 1/3, ISO 400, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 90.0 mm. Cropped for a 9x12, hand held while kneeling on one knee about 3/4 up the breakwater.

I decided to walk closer than before to grab as much detail and range as I could. It was overcast, cold, very little wind and fast fading available light. This light is old and automated, like me. If you like lighthouses, then consider buying a book entitled "Lighthouses of Maine" by Bill Caldwell. Published by Down East Books. ISBN # 0-89272-585-0 for $15.95. It has every lighthouse ever built in Maine, it's history etc. It is worth the investment.

I hope you enjoy this image. Let me know what you like, or don't like.

Roman Kurywczak
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey Grady,
I like the distant silhouette of the land. It looks to need a CW rotation??? I would definitely get rid of the bird in the LR water corner. I'm debating the central placement of the light.........but I know the RH side of the breakwater isn't the nicest. Maybe only a few steps right.............so not to get the darker areas on the wall but this would put the lighthouse a bit more in the ROT position. Love the colors you brought out in the rocks......so if moving right introduces to many distractions........l would keep the comp as is then.

Julie Kenward
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Nice lighthouse, Grady! I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now so take this with a grain of salt...but I wonder if the lighthouse wouldn't have a little more impact if the BG color was just a touch more saturated to help separate the white of the lighthouse from the sky color? Nothing dramatic, mind you...just a nudge towards more color.

I really love the rocks leading up to the LH. They are such a nice blast of color against all that foggy lighting.

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Nice work Grady. I agree with Roman that is moving was an option to get the LH out of the center and have the path leading to it as a strong diagonal leading line, the image would be strengthen compositionally.

Separation between the LH and BG looks good on my monitor. I really like the subtle detail of the BG.

Grady Weed
10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you all for your views. Next time I am up that way, I will see if another angle would give a different perspective. Thanks again.