PDA

View Full Version : Smoot Range at sunset, Wyoming/Idaho border

Dan Brown
10-01-2008, 07:41 PM
This is the Smoot Range, located on the Wyoming/Idaho border, shot from the Idaho side. This image is a photomerge of 4 vertical images, captured with a handheld Nikon D200, 24-120 Nikor lens at 66mm, f5.3, manual exp mode, spot meter mode, autofocus mode (oops! but it worked:D). Merged and PP'd in CS3 (I QM'd out one telephone pole), sharpened after resizing with Intellisharpen II. C&C welcome.

Paul Pagano
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Quite a pretty scene. Great colors as well.

Roman Kurywczak
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Dan,
i would have preferred if th Barn was further away from the left............say in the Rule of Fourths position. As Paul mentioned........the color is great. Origially I was going to suggest more sky...........but i tried a crop off the bottom......so the grasses more equaled the green band or were even slighly smaller...........then I find that it makes more of a pano........so it seems to strenghten the comp IMO. Let's see what others think also.

Dan Brown
10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys. I did shoot a couple images horizontally which included more space on the left of the barn. The light had changed a bit, but here they are stitched together in a sort of pano.

Julie Kenward
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Love the repost, Dan! This really emphasizes the scale between the barn and the mountain range. In the original image I barely even noticed the barn and now it's much more prominent.

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Dan,

I was just getting ready to comment on this yesterday and then got bogged down in stuff at the conference I was at. You posted the composition I was going to suggest - nice work.

Chris Starbuck
10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Dan,
I liked the original, but agree the composition of the 2nd image is noticably better.

The light had changed a bit...

The main difference in lighting between the two that I notice is in the sky, which is darker and higher contrast in the first image. If you like that better (and I think I do), it should be pretty easy to get something similar in the 2nd image by duplicating the image, setting the blending mode to multiply, then masking off everything but the sky. Adjust opacity to taste.

A beautiful picture!

Chris

david cramer
10-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Nice pano, Dan. The repost is an improvement on the composition, but I do like the colors in the first one better.