PDA

View Full Version : 2 shorebirds

allanrube
10-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I really feel I should know these. I put a link instead of an embedded image as I can fit both in this way. I was shooting dunlin and least sandpipers on the beach last week. Now this one seems to have a longer bill than a least - perhaps not - is it a leas (http://www.smugmug.com/photos/384418328_SDFgi-L.jpg)t?

Now this one has a bill like a dunlin but the other dunlins I saw were smaller. Is it a dunlin (http://www.smugmug.com/photos/384418345_jAXsE-L.jpg)?

allanrube
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Is it appropriate to bump in less than a day? Ideas accepted if no certainty???

Axel Hildebrandt
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I think you are right regarding the dunlin, as for the first one, it looks like a least but seeing the legs would help.

Dave Brown
10-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi,

Your first bird is a White-rumped Sandpiper..and here's why. I can understand why you were thinking Least. The bird appears a little brownish, the bill has a slight downward curve.However,there are naby characters that are characteristic of White rumped Sandpiper. Note the following

1) steaking extending down flanks,characteristic of white rumped but also seen on Western Sandpiper-never seen on Least
2) Wing Projection- this is a relatively long winged bird,wingtips appear to cross slightly and extend beyond the tail.The only other North American Caladrid (peep, small sandpiper) that could show this character is Baird`s Sandpiper.e next There are a few things that rule out Bairds- the flank streaking, the very noticeable supercillium and the next character I`m about to mention in point number three.

3) Bill- somewhat thick at base getting relatively thinner towards tip and slightly drooped. This almost describes a Western Sandpiper but size,wing extension and plumage rule that species out. What is absolutly crucial is the color of this birds bill.Notice that the portion closest to the head(usually on the lower mandible,but can extend to upper) is not black but reddish.This is diagnostic of white-rumped sandpiper.

I should also say that this bird is most likely an adult. Juvenile sandpipers tend to show very crisp,pale edged feathers.notice this birds wing coverts appear worn.Also the black feathers are leftover adult,summer plumage feathers. There is still a hint of rufous in the scapulars,this is actually much more noticeable in juveniles of this species. regarding your second bird....it is indeed a Dunlin.

Dave Brown

allanrube
10-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that information. It confirms what someone told me this morning but he did not give me the details which will help me next time.