PDA

View Full Version : Reddish Egret

Kirk Benson
10-01-2008, 03:05 AM
This Reddish is usually very careful not to get too close to onlookers, but today it was so intent on catching dinner it wandered closer than usual. :D I struggled with composition as usual, I have the full reflection but didn't like it as much. Thanks so much for looking, anxious to hear your C&C's.

D300 | Nikkor 70-300 VR-II @ 300mm | Manual 1/800s @ f/5.6 and -0.3 EV | Auto ISO 220

Jason Hahn
10-01-2008, 06:09 AM
The pose is really nice, I like the outstretched wing and intent look. Where were you shooting from, with all the detail in the water ripples behind the bird it looks like you have a high angle down to the reddish? Would a lower angle have been possible?

Jason

Kirk Benson
10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Jason, This was taken at Bolsa Chica Wetlands which has several bays separated by trails which are about 6-10 feet higher than the water level. Signs tell me to stay on the trail and I've noticed that everyone else honors that and so do I. It's a great preserve with lots of birds but most of the time I find myself shooting down on them as you noticed. :-( Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Maxis Gamez
10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Jason,

Besides the harsh light, you did well keeping the bird sharp in the frame. I wish for a lower angle but you did well with what you had.

Arthur Morris
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
This image is more a victim of poor processing than harsh light. For the repost I simply boosted the SAT about 10 points, mulipied the image, and reduced the Opacity to about 20%...

James Salywoda
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Well done Kirk the pose is fantastic and as I know angles at Bolsa especially low ones are hard to come by....

Kirk Benson
10-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your C&C's, very much appreciated. Artie, your repost is so much better than my attempt, thanks a bunch for taking the time to teach me. I've already tried your suggestion on some other images, what a difference. I know, I know, I need to get ABP II :D Thanks again!