PDA

View Full Version : Some Yellowleg

Desmond Chan
10-01-2008, 01:21 AM
I am very sure its legs are yellow :D

But, like many other of my shorebird in water photos...bad looking water, bird doesn't look that sharp. What's wrong with those birds, huh? :D:D

I wonder if it would be better if the background is the sea.

D300 200-400 f5.6@ 360mm; ISO 800 f5.6 1/1000 sec. Cropped for composition purpose.

Cheryl Flory
10-01-2008, 07:15 AM
great low perspective and head angle. love that sharp eye. I think I would crop some off the top. Why such a high ISO?

Alfred Forns
10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Excellent image Desmond Love that full reflection and how you included the water circles Would take just a bit of the top? Excellent !!!

Good question on the ISO Cheryl !!! Not sure what went on here but I have lost like this one. With constant light changes with the sun going behind the clouds I will go with the higher ISO rather than lower shutter speed when the light is dim.

Desmond Chan
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, thanks for the kind words!

The water looks ok to you?? The feathers?

As for high ISO, that's for getting a faster shutter speed. Most of the time when I see the yellowlegs or dowitcher in a pond, they move around almost constantly. No, they're not flying but they don't just stop and stand there. They're apparently lookinging for food. They'd stroll left and right, back and forth, and bobbing their head up and down. Sometimes' they're preening. If they're not doing any of that, they fly away from me...:)

denise ippolito
10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
There is some color splash in BG to the left of bird it seems to be distracting for me

Gus Cobos
10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Very nice Desmond. I like the composition, the colors are superb, like the reflection, and the details on the bird. I do see just a slight trace of background noise in the green hues, possibly due to the high ISO setting...all in all; great job...:cool:

Amy DeStefanis
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Unless the light is very bright, I wind up with a high ISO too. The noise from a high ISO is not as problematic as the noise from underexposure, I've found.

And yes, these little guys move around constantly bobbing their heads under the water for dinner. They are deceptively fast.

His eye looks sharp, has a catchlight. The water isn't bad - I especially like the surface of the water in front of the bird. I see the same noise that Al sees in the water behind the bird. Almost looks like subtle reflection spots that the sensor couldn't figure out what to do with??? Still trying to figure that kind of thing out, too.

Nice!

Amy D.

Harold Davis
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
love the reflection. would take a little from the top. nice job, desmond!!

Oscar Zangroniz
10-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Excellent composition and background. The reflection and the circles on the water takes it up a notch.
congrats,

Desmond Chan
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I guess a bit cropped from the top is OK then. Thanks for the comments, folks !!