PDA

View Full Version : ID?

wendell westfall
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I took this picture this morning at Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach, CA. I don't know what it is -- my guess is a dove of some kind. The bird rested on the bridge for a long time. I do note that its legs are banded, one with a yellow band the other blue/green. ID would be appreciated, as well as a few words on banding . . .

Thanks,
Wendell

James Prudente
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Wendell,

I believe it is Columba livia, the Feral Pigeon or Rock Dove. They come in a variety of colors and combinations, however entirely white birds are scarce. It is probably a Pigeon fanciers bird, most of the folks who fly pigeons do band them.

Jim

John Chardine
10-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Agreed. Pigeon fanciers user their own system of banding rather than the North American system administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Canadian Wildlife Service.

As an aside, wild Rock Doves breed on remote sea cliffs in the UK and elsewhere. I've always found this ironic considering they are also a most familiar city bird.

wendell westfall
10-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks, fellows, that answers this neophyte's query . . . I had hoped for something more exotic . . .
Wendell