PDA

View Full Version : Dowitcher In Flight ~ Dunes Grass

Jim Fenton
09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
While photographing terns in the breeding colony this summer, I noted that as the tide receded, dowitchers would fly out from behind the dunes, where they obviously had been roosting during the day....something I hadn't seem them do before. Therefore, I of course wanted to capture one in flight as it emerged in front of the dune grasses. It didn't happen the first day :)

The next afternoon, I set up to wait and as I waited, the wind picked up rather briskly from the northeast...perfect to slow my intended subjects down a hair. After much waiting and watching thousands of terns that tempted me to work them instead, a single bird emerged right where I had hoped it would, with the early evening long rays of the sun on it.

The bird was a bit more distant than I would have hoped as I had backed away a bit, but I was still happy that the plan had come together.

Nikon D300, 500 AFS VR, f 4, ISO 400, I/3200, CW metering with -.7 EV compensation, NearUniWB preset.
51 point dynamic AF, center reticule hot, Lock-On set to short.

Linda Robbins
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Good composition and I really like the bg with the marsh grasses. I wish more of the rear wing were visible, but the head angle is good and I like the sharp plumage detail. Your plan resulted in a nice image!

Greg Basco
09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Jim, big congrats! I think the BG makes this an awesome image. That's not to take away from the bird, which is also very sharp and well-lighted, but the hint of habitat really makes it for me. I'm curious -- any reason for the squarish crop?

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Jim Fenton
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Hmmm....

My head is kinda square tonight? :)

I dunno, other than it looked good to my eyes this way.

Ramon M. Casares
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I love this shot, the BG is superb and the pose couldn't be better, light is nice as are the details but I feel the teil a bit oversharpened, still, congratulaitons!

Neil Losin
10-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I love the BG in this one, Jim. Great work!

Juan Aragonés
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Very good result Jim. I love the soft light and pastel-like colors of the BG and, of course, the grass textures. The bird is very sharp and with a very nice eye contact. Love the right wing but I am not sure about the compoition, maybe some croping at the bottom and more room at the right?

chad anderson
10-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Patience always pays in nature photography. Well executed thanks for sharing. I like the subtle amount of habitat shown. I agree with Ramon on the over-sharpening though, a little much for my eyes. The head tilt with the slight glance is a nice bonus too.