PDA

View Full Version : German Yellowjacket

Keith Kennedy
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
On a very cool day here in Wisconsin (high 50's), some of the German yellowjacket workers are starting to slow down. I found this individual worker still very much alive but moving slowly on a leaf due to the lower temperature. Normally, you risk a very nasty sting when trying to get close to these very aggressive insects. Since the light was very low, I pushed the ISO almost to the limit and used some fill flash. It could still use some noise reduction but my version of 'Neat Image' is several years out of date and this is the best it could do.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III; Canon 180mm f3.5 macro + Canon extension tube EF 25 + Canon 1.4X converter; exposure mode = AV; metering = evaluative; exposure comp +1/3; ISO 3200; f13; 1/50s; Canon T24 twin flash at -1; Gitzo tripod.

Julie Kenward
09-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I love the detail on the face and the angle that you made the image - just a step away from head on. I have to say, though, I find the front OOF leaf and the back wing fairly distracting. If you could get this same amount of detail and not get the hot spot on the leaf and a bit more clarity to the wings, I think you'd have a real winner here!

Noel Carboni
10-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Man, the Germans even engineer their bees solidly. :) Can't say I've ever seen a Yellowjacket up this close.

Great angle. I'm having trouble deciding if the hint of motion is good or not... I think it's good.

Give the cameras another few generations, then you can retake this image at f/22, 1/100, ISO 25,600. :D

-Noel

Robert O'Toole
10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Well done Keith, I like it alot, the details and colors are very cool.

Nice work.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Better I think. I couldnt resist.

Robert

Michael Lloyd
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Very nice (both images).I love the detail, composition, and the colors.

Keith Kennedy
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Robert,

Wow! Great job reducing the noise and I like the brighter/cleaner background. The image does have more pop! With your ajdustments, you would never guess it was shot at ISO 3200! What program are you using? I need to consider upgrading! Thanks for the help.

Keith