PDA

View Full Version : Red Kite

John Harper
01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi There

Shot of a Wild Red Kite taken at the Hawk Conservancy, they often fly over when the European Black Kites are being flown in demonstration. They have bred about 8 birds that have been released into the wild in the surrounding area.

I was lucky with this shot as he was looking at the camera, when I pressed the shutter.

John

Tech Details

EOS1D MKIIN
EF 400mm F5.6L
ISO 400
1/4000 @ 5.6

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/kitebank.jpg

Lana Hays
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
John
Nice job getting this one overhead. I wish the light had been on at least his head but you have some very nice detail underneath. Very nice wing spread and I do like the eye contact. Watch out for those sharpening halos.....the image is more heavenly without them:):):)

Alfred Forns
01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
HI John !!! To avoid the halos select the sky Inverse selection and contract a couple of pixels Then you can work on the bird without worrying On any bird with clean bg I will go about it in this way Love that wing position !!!!

John Harper
01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
HI John !!! To avoid the halos select the sky Inverse selection and contract a couple of pixels Then you can work on the bird without worrying On any bird with clean bg I will go about it in this way Love that wing position !!!!

Hi Alfred

Thanks for the tips, i think it may be to do with the fact i used to use Raw Shooter to process the RAW files and i may well have tried to recover the highlights too much and it introduces a halo around the bird. I will have to try and revisit this one and try and do a bit better.

John

John Harper
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
John
Nice job getting this one overhead. I wish the light had been on at least his head but you have some very nice detail underneath. Very nice wing spread and I do like the eye contact. Watch out for those sharpening halos.....the image is more heavenly without them:):):)

Hi Lana - Alfred

I don't know if this is any better. I went back to the RAW file and played about in Lightroom. Perhaps you could let me know your thoughts on this version.

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/kitebank2.jpg

Jim Neiger
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi John,

Nice capture of this red Kite. The lighting was less than ideal, but the second post looks good with the detail you were ablke to bring out by lightening it up. In the future, please post wild bird images with no man made elements visible, in the wild and free forum.