PDA

View Full Version : Gho

Ed Vatza
09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
OK, I know there are a lot of problems with this image. The background isn't good. And I was not in a great position - shooting between two trees and obviously with a branch, that I didn't see in the darkened woods, blurring the owl's tail. But now I know where they are hanging out.

This image was made with my 30D and 300mm f/2.8L IS w/ 2x TC. I was on a tripod and was using a 580 EX II flash with Better Beamer.

At ISO 800 and f/5.6, the shutter speed was 1/50 sec. EV = 0 and FEC = -1.

Here's the issue. I find these guys right around sundown and in a heavily wooded area. So I am dealing with very low light. And I am using a 2x TC on my 300. I focused right between the owls eyes. The problem I am trying to understand is why the image does not look as sharp as I think it should. I will be going back again in hopes of making better images. What should I do differently? Beside making sure there is no branch between me and the bird. I really did not even notice it in the darkened woods.

Desmond Chan
09-29-2008, 09:42 PM
How about this owl?

I once photographed great horned owl on a cloudy day in a back-lit situation. My shots were oof. I supposed it was because there wasn't enough contrast for the lens and camera to detact and set the focus. I tried manually focused the lens and the results were even worse...of course under such dim lighting condition :o Yours is sharper than mine.

The oof leaves/branches in the foreground are the biggest problem here, IMO.

As for the background, all the great horned owls I've come across live in a habitat like that. Unless you want to use post-process to help improve the background, otherwise, personally I'm totally fine with the background as is. Having said that, I would clone-stamp out some of the distracting elements that "touch" the owl.

Alfred Forns
09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Ed you are shooting at 900mm and 1/50 shutter speed and wondering why is not as sharp as it should be? :)

Practice your long lens technique !!!! It is possible to make sharp images under those circumstances but not easy !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Pretty darn good for low light. Just the leaves are in the way of the feet. Would it look good as a vertical crop. Very good. I hope you have more opportunities to photograph this bird and show us!

Gus Cobos
09-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Ed ,
I like the composition, the background does not bother me, its called habitat...:):D Agree with Mr. Forns in reference to long lens shooting...practice makes better...:cool:

Amy DeStefanis
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Practice makes better, but this is pretty awesome as it is. I like the lightening that Desmond did - maybe something in between the original and his... but Ed, I don't think you have anything to apologize for!!!

You're doing great!

Amy D.

Gina Hallgren
09-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Hello Ed. Love your original photo as I know we ran into the same problems you did many times . . Gina

Gus Hallgren
09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Ed: I have photographed many GHO, and usually located high amongst a lot of branches in dim light. I think you got a marvelous photograph. Sure there were some leaves between you and the branch, to be expexted. I like your original capture, and if you get lucky a better opportunity will come along some time in the future. As you know, the harder you work, the luckier you get. I like it when they are about 6 weeks old, big and less wary. Thanks for sharing . . . Uncle Gus :D