PDA

View Full Version : Superb Blue Wren - Male

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
A regular visitor to my garden. By introducing some peanut butter to the gum nut I was able to readily attract him to this perch.

Canon EOS 10, Canon 100-400mm lens, Natural light with fill flash. Tripod

john jackson
01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Gorgeous bird to have in your garden. Great pose. But, the contrast is a little high in the processing for me: whites too white and blacks too black. I'd love to see it toned down a little to reveal a little more subtlety in those areas (the bird is dramatic enough to still look good).

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't mind a garden visitor like this. :) I like the pose and perch. The light looks very harsh and I would decrease the contrast a bit. If you could arrange the perch in a way that there is more distance between subject and BG, the BG would look less busy, which would be beneficial. Could you post some techs?

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately the light appears very harsh and there seems to be some loss in feather detail perhaps for that same reason? I do like your composition and your dedication is admirable.

Tony Whitehead
01-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Great bird - agree contrast a bit high and ?slight overexposure - flank and perch look a bit hot but I am on an uncalibrated monitor at work. Not sure what your aperture was - possible opening up a bit would solve the backgroound issue. If wide-open would need to increase background to perch distance. Fill flash a good option to try and tame the lighting contrast. More details would be helpful.

Rene Quenneville
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Very nice bird, I agree with previous comments. There is also something with the composition but I have a hard time to figure it out. The tails form a vertical straight line which continues with the 2 gum nuts, tough to say...

Michael Sowden
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I like this alot, the light does seem very harsh mainly on the chest. Reducing the staturation would possibly help.

Glenn Bartley
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with Axels suggestions. I think if you could get this guy in some lower-angle light you could really bring out the details in the blacks. Another alternative would be to shoot him on a bright overcast day with a touch of fill flash.

Rosl Roessner
01-15-2008, 02:11 AM
please don't shoot him, Glenn! Such a wonderful bird!

Nicole Brooker
01-15-2008, 03:46 AM
I like the composition and the background. I had a look at your website two and you've had some great experiences.

Del Cockroft
01-15-2008, 06:47 AM
The colours are quite outstanding and I believe you have done extremely well in such harsh sunlight.