PDA

View Full Version : GBH backward preen.

Daniel Cadieux
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
It can become hard to capture something different with an oft photographed subject, but I think this one does the job. We are looking at the heron's back with its head twisted behind as it was rubbing it's face against its plumage after a good preening session. What I was happiest with here is the wide open eye and smallish pupil...combined with its rather ratty head/bill it gives this photo lots of character and a bit of humour, I think:)

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, 1/400s., f/8, ISO 400, +1 EC, natural overcast light, handheld. About 80% full-frame (cropped top and right for comp)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_Great-blueHeron_6969-01.jpg

James Salywoda
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Sweet Daniel what I like about it is that its a unique pose captured and it works really well.

bill kominsky
09-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Daniel very unique and sought of whimsical, great eye contact and clarity I think this is very well done. And thank you for all your help.

Bill

Alexander Koenders
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Verr original. Beautifull how those eyes seems to look at the camera:)

Stephen Stephen
09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Dan nice image here. I like the feather textures and shapes. I didn't realise how enormous some of those feathers were.

It was great to get out again on Saturday morning. Those two sanderlings (plsu the Mature Bald Eagle) made the outing.

Arthur Morris
10-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I like it for the reasons noted above. A crop from the top might make is a bit stronger. Not sure, but it looks as if it might be trying to get to the uropygial gland for some oil... Or, perhaps it has just done that and is spreading the oil on the feathers.