PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Goose

Arnold Dubin
01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I was riding in my car leaving the Viera Wetlands in Florida and came across an Egyptian Goose which I understand is very rear goose to see in the USA. There home is primarily in Africa. I used Nikon D70, with a 70-200mm F2.8 VR lens to capture this photo. When I left it was getting overcast. The camera settings were ISO 500, f4, speed 1/750, +1 EV, focal length 190mm. My main objective with this photo was to document this goose. I capture it in RAW and used Adobe Photoshop CS3 to enhance it. Please provide me feedback on this photo. Thanks ADubin

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Great find, Arnold. I've never seen this species. A lower angle and the head turned toward you would have improved the image. It looks as if you sharpened the bird and a bit around it, which is distracting. Keep them coming.

Judd Patterson
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Arnold, the Egyptian Goose is becoming increasing common in Florida (noticed 2 around my office the other day). In fact the state recently took notice and is beginning to mobilize a strategy to deal with this invader (along with several other exotic birds in Florida). There are concerns they may quickly out compete some of the native species. With that, I'll move on to the business at hand...your photograph. :)

It's a great documentation photograph, but it does have some shortcomings when we get critical. I agree with Axel that your selective blurring of portions of the image (leaving the water around the legs) is distracting and unnatural. The light looks fine, but an improved angle from down along the shore (instead of up on the bank) would help to remove the feeling that we are looking down on the bird.

Stephane Massie
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Hello Arnold, I had one 2 years ago in the regional Park at the back of my home. But I leave in the province of Quebec North of Montreal. This fellow stayed for the winter with the local duck and I have lot of fun taking picture ok it.

It was Arthur who helped me at the time with the problem I had trying to find what it was (not it any of my North America guide).

A lower angle of view would have been nice.

Steph.

Arnold Dubin
01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Axel, I capture this image from my car because I found it makes for a good bird blind. I would definitely would of liked to capture the Egyptian Goose at different angle but was afraid I would scare it away. For the post processing, I did sharpen the Goose and try to blur the background. I think I over did too. ADubin

Great find, Arnold. I've never seen this species. A lower angle and the head turned toward you would have improved the image. It looks as if you sharpened the bird and a bit around it, which is distracting. Keep them coming.

Arnold Dubin
01-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Judd, I appreciate your input about the increase in Egyptian Goose population.

I took this photo from my car because I didn't want to scare the Goose away. Next time I will take several photos from the car and then try to get out of the car without trying to scare it away so I can it from a different angle. I agree with your and Alex's comments about my post processing.

ADubin

Arnold, the Egyptian Goose is becoming increasing common in Florida (noticed 2 around my office the other day). In fact the state recently took notice and is beginning to mobilize a strategy to deal with this invader (along with several other exotic birds in Florida). There are concerns they may quickly out compete some of the native species. With that, I'll move on to the business at hand...your photograph. :)

It's a great documentation photograph, but it does have some shortcomings when we get critical. I agree with Axel that your selective blurring of portions of the image (leaving the water around the legs) is distracting and unnatural. The light looks fine, but an improved angle from down along the shore (instead of up on the bank) would help to remove the feeling that we are looking down on the bird.

Arnold Dubin
01-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Steph

Thanks for your enlighting me about having a Egyptian Goose in the back of your home.

I took this photo at a high angle because I was in my car and didn’t want to scare it away. Next time I will take several photos from the car and then try to get out of the car without trying to scare it away so I can it from a different angle.

ADubin

Hello Arnold, I had one 2 years ago in the regional Park at the back of my home. But I leave in the province of Quebec North of Montreal. This fellow stayed for the winter with the local duck and I have lot of fun taking picture ok it.

It was Arthur who helped me at the time with the problem I had trying to find what it was (not it any of my North America guide).

A lower angle of view would have been nice.

Steph.