PDA

View Full Version : Lanner Falcon

John Harper
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi There

Not sure if this one works? but I quite like it so I would value some other perspectives or comments. It was taken at a Falconers house on an arranged photographic trip.

John

Tech Details.

EOS1DMKIIN
EF500mm F4L
ISO 640
1/1600 @ F4

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/lanner2.jpg

Judd Patterson
01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey John! Capturing a falcon in flight, especially when headed toward the camera, is not easy. Very nice job freezing this action in your image. I love the pose of the wings and the stare that this predator is giving as well. I wish that the background had a bit more blue instead of all the white, but that is often out of our control. You might experiment with selecting the sky first and running a separate curves layer on just the sky to restore a little color/contrast (you might want to feather your selection a pixel before proceeding with the curves adjustment).

Nonda Surratt
01-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Wow John the birds eyes draw me right in! I really like the image, Judd covered the rest.

John Harper
01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey John! Capturing a falcon in flight, especially when headed toward the camera, is not easy. Very nice job freezing this action in your image. I love the pose of the wings and the stare that this predator is giving as well. I wish that the background had a bit more blue instead of all the white, but that is often out of our control. You might experiment with selecting the sky first and running a separate curves layer on just the sky to restore a little color/contrast (you might want to feather your selection a pixel before proceeding with the curves adjustment).

Hi Judd

Thanks for the advice, I had another shot in the sequence that i thought had a bit of an easier outline to select, so i had a go based on your suggestion. I am not familiar with curves so I just used levels instead to bring the background exposure down a bit to get more colour in the sky. Can you let me know if you have time what you think.

And thanks again for taking the time & trouble to help.

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/lanner5.jpg